cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
joshua_tait
Beginner
Message 1 of 11

Laptop connecting to Router but cant access internet

Hi all, my girlfriend and I have recently moved into a new place and decided to opt for B.T Broadband. Our Home Hub 4 was delivered yesterday, and we set it up according to the instructions. Since setting up, my girlfriend has been able to get the internet working absolutely fine on her laptop (X.P), and I have been able to access it on my mobile phone (blackberry) and tablet (Android)

However, despite my laptop connecting to the router, it is refusing to actually allow me to access the internet. The router is displayed as an 'unidentified network' and the connection is local only.

Does anyone have any advice? I can't connect using an ethernet cable as my laptop's port is broken. I have tried performing a windows updaet but it doesn't seem to have done anything. Not a complete disaster but a little annoying, so any help would be much appreciated. Thanks!

0 Ratings
10 REPLIES 10
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 11

Re: Laptop connecting to Router but cant access internet

There are some hints on this page.

Wireless problems and things you can try, to resolve them

Windows update does not normally find wireless card drivers.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 11

Are you entering the wireless key that is on the home hub. It is not the admin password or your email password.

What Operating System are you using?

Have you tried clicking on the connection and letting Windows diagnose and repair the connection?

0 Ratings
joshua_tait
Beginner
Message 4 of 11

Yes, I have done all of the above. I have entered the wireless key - as I said in my original post, I am connected to the router but it will not access the internet. I am using Vista.

Is it possible that updating the drivers will resolve this issue? How would I do that? I am a bit of a novice with these sorts of things, so please explain in as much detail as you can. Thanks again.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 11

What is the make and model of your laptop please?

Then the updated drivers can be located, and downloaded onto a memory stick or similar, using another computer.

Then you can plug the memory stick into the USB port on you laptop, and run the update program, as your Ethernet port is damaged.

0 Ratings
joshua_tait
Beginner
Message 6 of 11

The laptop is a Toshiba L300/L300D series. Let me know if you need anything else. i just checked my drivers and they seem to be up to date - could this mean that they aren't the problem? As far as i am aware i have never manually updated them, but I could be wrong.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 11

Re: Laptop connecting to Router but cant access Internet

What operating system are you using, There are six drivers to choose from. Enter the details of your laptop into the drop down boxes.

http://www.toshiba.co.uk/innovation/download_drivers_bios.jsp?service=UK

Once you have selected the correct one for your operating system download it as Keith has suggested.

Once downloaded go to Start > Control Panel > Device Manager > Network Adaptors > click on the wireless adaptor > go to Drivers tab >Update Driver > Browse My Computer > select where you have stored the downloaded driver and let it install. Close everything then then restart your laptop and see if it connects. 

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aratark
Contributor
Message 8 of 11

Vista does have issues with WPA2 encryption.  Could it be you weren't using that on your previous router?  The BT Hubs default to that, so you could try changing the encryption type.  There is a windows update for that which should have come down.

If it is showing unknown network, you could try setting a fixed address for the laptop if you only use it at home.

Press windows key and r, then type ncpa.cpl in the box that pops up.  Then right click on wireless network.  Select Internet Protocol v4 (TCP/IPv4) then press properties.  Then on the next page select use following address for IP address and fill the fields with, as an example, 

Then in the dns fields beneath you could use:

Hit ok, then close and that'll get you back to the page that shows the wireless connection.  It should have stopped showing unknown connection by now and hopefully, you should have a connection.

There are known issues with doing this on Vista, but the fix for this is readily googleable and not every user gets it.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/928233

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/973243

These are a couple of links from M$ with regard to fixes for this sort of issue.

Reed_Richards
Aspiring Expert
Message 9 of 11

@Aratark wrote:

Press windows key and r, then type ncpa.cpl in the box that pops up.  Then right click on wireless network.  Select Internet Protocol v4 (TCP/IPv4) then press properties.  Then on the next page select use following address for IP address and fill the fields with, as an example, 

Then in the dns fields beneath you could use:

If you follow this advice you should be aware that it will only work for a router that has the IP address 192.168.1.254.  This is true of all BT Home Hubs and other routers made by Thomson/Technicolor.  But if you go travelling with the laptop you might find difficulties making a wireless connection.  It is even possible that your current difficulties are because some of the parameters that Aratark is suggesting you fix (instead of getting them automatically from the router, which is the default setting) have already been fixed at values that don't work with BT.   

0 Ratings
Aratark
Contributor
Message 10 of 11

Reed,

The line above those you quoted did say if you only use the laptop at home.  I would normally advise using DHCP, however, if getting an unknown network showing, and only using the one connection, then swapping to a static internal address won't cause further issues whilst staying with the same provider.

0 Ratings