cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Shaz64
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 6

Laptop keeps disconnecting

Hi, I've just renewed my BT package and now been upgraded to Halo 2 which an engineer fitted for me. I have not issues with my TV, mobiles or tablets but my laptop keeps disconnecting. I've looked online at options and have disconnected wifi and forget network etc which seemed to work but now i'm back on my laptop its happened again. Could it be that the network is not as strong at moment due to coronavirus/everyone online etc as my laptop is a good few years old but still in great condition, maybe not powerful enough!

Any advice please.

Thanks

0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 6

Re: Laptop keeps disconnecting

Make sure you turn off "smart setup" on the Smarthub.

See link how to do that.

http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/44328/~/what-is-smart-setup-on-the-bt-hub%3F-how-can-...

0 Ratings
Shaz64
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 6

Hi, still not yet actioned this as not most confident with technical details. But the issue is driving me up the wall when it keeps disconnecting. If I follow your link, will it have any effect on our other tablets, mobiles etc as we have no issues with these and don't want to if I change the settings on our hub. I await your reply

Thanks

0 Ratings
gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 6

No. It will have no effect on them.

It might also not have any effect on your laptop but it is one of the first things to try.

0 Ratings
yorkspark
Contributor
Message 5 of 6

As your other devices are still connecting fine, then theres nothing wrong with your wifi strength, and it certainly hasn't reduced because of covid-19

it will be a wireless lan card driver issue, or windows is putting the wireless card to sleep to save power, these are all settings on the laptop and will need checking/altering.

0 Ratings
markholmes96
Beginner
Message 6 of 6

I have a similar problem but it is mostly affecting my son's playstation. He gets a message saying "DNS server is not set". If we reset the hub it is fine but often we have to do it again later in the day.

0 Ratings