cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
ah482
Beginner
Message 1 of 7

Laptop to HomeHub connection problem (post network upgrade)

Go to solution

Hi,

I have had a BT Home Hub (2.0) for 2 years and a couple of weeks ago had my network upgraded. Since then, I've had daily problems connecting to wireless broadband. Whenever I first switch my laptop on and stream videos the wireless network seems to overload and I get disconnected from the network (as do other laptops and printers) and cannot reconnect. The Hub still shows three blue icons, but I can't reconnect to the internet without resetting the router. This happens a few times before settling down, but typically happens around 3 times a day - always when I'm watching a video on YouTube, iPlayer or something like that.

I never had this problem until my network upgraded, and I've left enough time for any network problems to sort themselves out, but clearly there is an issue when it comes to streaming. Can anyone help?

0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 7

Re: Laptop to HomeHub connection problem (post network upgrade)

Go to solution

If you upgraded to ADSL2+, then your download speed would have increased, and the wireless connection on the home hubs 1 and 2, are very easily overloaded, especially if there is interference on the wireless channel, or the wireless signal is poor at the receiving end.

You could try changing channel, to see if it helps.

0 Ratings
ah482
Beginner
Message 3 of 7

Go to solution

Hi, I've changed channels and although the internet speed is possibly quicker the disconnection problem is still there. The laptop is never further than 2-3 metres from the Hub, and the Hub isn't too close to the phone or anything. Like I said, it's almost always when I'm streaming HD videos, so it seems to be an overloading issue. Would you be able to suggest anything else? Might BT be able to upgrade my Hub, considering the amount of disruption to the service?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 7

Go to solution
if you are streaming HD video i would recommend using a wired connection as wireless is subject to to much external interference
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 7

Go to solution

You would very lucky indeed to stream HD over wireless, without the home hubs internal buffer overflowing.

There are other options.

Network connection problems and possible solutions

0 Ratings
ah482
Beginner
Message 6 of 7

Go to solution

Thanks, but I should point out that this isn't just HD videos, it's also ordinary YouTube videos - it's just at its worst with HD videos. The other thing I should say is that this never happened until I got network upgraded a couple of weeks ago. Before the upgrade it would sometimes buffer videos or need reloading, which is understandable, but it wouldn't disable the entire wireless network like it does now. It is deeply frustrating to have a service 'upgraded' from something I was perfectly happy with only to have it now work very poorly. Is it likely to be a problem with the Hub, or the phoneline or something else?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 7

Go to solution

Its more likely to be the hub, as its now having to deal with a faster ADSL connection, which is taking up more of its internal CPU time.

Wireless places a lot of extra overheads, like error correction due to interference.

I use a separate wireless access point on mt home hub 1, and have the HH1 wireless disabled.

0 Ratings