Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Stephen63
Beginner
Message 1 of 6

Laptop will not connect to Smart Hub 2

Go to solution

Hi All,

We have recently installed a Smart Hub 2. All is fine with several laptops and phones. On first connection devices have typically asked for the password and proceeded to connect without problem. 

My sons laptop is a HP windows 7 device. It connected fine to the old router. This laptop detects other wi-fi networks (neighbours !) and when you click on these it requests a password as normal. 

However when I click on the new home BT network it attempts to connect WITHOUT prompting for a password and connection fails. 

Any ideas how this can be solved - any help much appreciated. 

Stephen 

0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 6

Re: Laptop will not connect to Smart Hub 2

Go to solution

@Stephen63 

Try turning  off Smart Setup.

http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/44328/~/switching-smart-setup-on-and-off-on-the-bt-ho...

If that does not help, then try a different wireless mode.

https://www.bt.com/help/broadband/what-is-the-wireless-mode-feature-on-my-bt-smart-hub-

Also make sure the correct wireless network is being selected, as its possible that BT Wifi has been selected instead, as that is an open network.

0 Ratings
Stephen63
Beginner
Message 3 of 6

Go to solution

Hi Keith 

many thanks for your swift response. I have worked through all of those, and checked that it is trying to connect to the correct network, and unfortunately none of those suggestions have worked. 

Curiously when I click on BTWi-fi  it fails in the same way. Does not ask for password. 

When I click on click on BTWifi-X, then I do get a prompt for ‘username’ and password. But unfortunately the normal BT account details and password do not work. So that work around seems to have failed too. 

Many thanks for your prompt suggestions

0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 6

Go to solution

Make sure the wireless connection is set to private, as you are connecting to your own network.

Also make sure there is not another "saved" wireless connection with the same SSID. I assume you are now using the new SSID and have not renamed it to the original home hub, as that can cause problems

If its a laptop with dual band wireless, try turning off the 5GHz wireless on the home hub, and see if it will connect to 2.4GHz.

If its a really old laptop, then its possible that the wireless driver needs updating.

If all else fails, just go back and use your original home hub, as the Smart Hub 2 does not offer any advantages, unless you are adding the black wifi disk, or have BT Digital Voice.

0 Ratings
Stephen63
Beginner
Message 5 of 6

Go to solution
Hi Keith - sorted. I am not quite sure what my son did. I think her deleted the new BT router from the ‘known wi-fi’ list and then when we reconnected the request for password occurred as normal. Sorry if I missed this from your suggestions !! I was getting out of my depth !
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 6

Go to solution

@Stephen63 wrote:
Hi Keith - sorted. I am not quite sure what my son did. I think her deleted the new BT router from the ‘known wi-fi’ list and then when we reconnected the request for password occurred as normal. Sorry if I missed this from your suggestions !! I was getting out of my depth !

That would have fixed it, as somehow it was being identified as an "open" network, which is why it did not ask for a password.

0 Ratings