cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 6

Large packet loss from Modem to BT cabinet

Hi

I have been experiencing lag spikes while gaming for 18 months or so now. They seem to happen every 20mins or so. Was with a different provider before (few month ago) and had the same issues. I believe the issue is ether in the cabinet or possibly my incoming phone line. I ran a test on ping plotter multiple times now and this seems to confirm this. Where do I go from here as my speeds are fine and using bt's line check they come back as fine.

Many Thanks 

Sam

MrAustin_0-1629814815020.png

0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6

Re: Large packet loss from Modem to BT cabinet

Apart from the fact that there is no IP layer equipment in the cabinet, what leads you to believe that is where your problem lies.

There is no packet loss in that trace.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 6

Sorry I attached the wrong photo.
I believe the below show packet loss on hop 3, which I lead to believe is from my modem to my supply from BT.(Although I could be wrong)

MrAustin_0-1629826005195.png

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 6

There isn't any actual packet loss at hop3, it just too busy to respond to your pings. If you had lost packets, there would be packet loss from there onwards. You need to read these plots backwards. Unless there is packet loss at the destination, there is no packet loss en route, packets can't be miraculously re-created.

Hop 3 is somewhere in the BT network, it is nowhere near your location. Hop 2 is the BT BRAS (Broadband Remote Access Server) which is located at a head end exchange. The green cabinet doesn't contain a router.

Message 5 of 6

Thank you for explaining this too me.
0 Ratings
Message 6 of 6

Do you notice the lag issue when gaming and what games do you play ie.COD and so on?

there are routers out there that cater more towards gamers that can offer better network control and ways to insure you connect to the best server. 

0 Ratings