Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
bakerloou
Beginner
Message 1 of 9

Latency Issues - Multiple devices makes network unusable

Hopefully someone can help as BT support have no idea how to address the issue.

Our Fibre runs around 40-50mb download and 10mb upload. We have mutliple devices in the house ranging from laptops, phones, games consoles and smart TVs.

The issue we have is that if one person / one device begins to stream or play a game on a console it becomes unsable. Latency of over 100 on games and streaming stops and starts. This all starts when one device begins to use the network consistantly. 

Prime example of the issue is we cant have more than one person playing online on the playstation at once. Or someone streaming netflix downstairs makes the game consoles unplayable. 

The issue occurs wireless and wired, at all times of day and the week. We cant locate a sole device hogging bandwidth nor is there (as far as we can test online with BT) a line issue...

Help please!

Tags (2)
0 Ratings
8 REPLIES 8
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 9

Re: Latency Issues - Multiple devices makes network unusable

There is no way around this if you use a BT Home hub, as you cannot control the bandwidth or priority of any devices, as its just a very basic ISP provided router.

You would have to use your own router to do that. You can get a decent one, which can do what you are asking, for just under £40.

You can allocate both bandwidth and priority, which should reduce some of the issues you are getting.

Full details available on request.

bakerloou
Beginner
Message 3 of 9

Hi Keith,

Thanks for the reply.

Surely it can’t just be the router causing this. We used to be able to run multiple consoles and devices a year back.

I’ve looked at a few routers to replace the “smart” hub. Any recommendations from yourself?
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 9

@bakerloou wrote:
Hi Keith,

Thanks for the reply.

Surely it can’t just be the router causing this. We used to be able to run multiple consoles and devices a year back.

I’ve looked at a few routers to replace the “smart” hub. Any recommendations from yourself?

First I would try a factory reset of the home hub, to see if it helps.

I suspect that the problem is that far more bandwidth is being consumed by individual devices, than a year ago, especially with the increase in HD streaming services, and many websites embedding video adverts.

This is putting extra pressure on your own internal network, and also the main core network.

If you can control the bandwidth on your devices, then video would stream in SD and not HD, when other users are demanding bandwidth, and share things out a bit more.

Quite a few members, including myself, are using the TP-Link TD-W9970. (About £40)

This does have the ability to allocate bandwidth and priority, provided you follow the correct steps. Bear in mind that not all routers offer this feature, or have restrictions.

There is full details on my website link. TP-Link TD-W9970 - a replacement for the home hub

The initial setup is very easy, but you need to be prepared to spend a bit of time, configuring the priority and bandwidth settings. Its not that difficult, especially if you make a note of what you have done, in case you want to alter the allocations to each device.

Here is an example page from my website Priority and bandwidth controls

I only have an ADSL connection, so bandwidth is carefully managed for my main network, and guest network.

0 Ratings
bakerloou
Beginner
Message 5 of 9

Factory reset hasnt solved the problem the last few attempts sadly... 

Ive just gone out and bought the recommended router at the local Argos. 

Setup is fine for me to do, with large experience in IT. However, we do have the BT Whole Home boosters around the house. Presume this router plays ball with those devices?

Thanks again for the help

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 9

If you are experienced in IT, the TP Link setup is easy, you just need to remember that it uses IP addresses, not device names, so you must reserve them if you want to control things.

Its device names which causes all the problems on the home hubs, this is a legacy issue.

You should have no issues with the Whole Home System, as the TP Link uses the same subnet, but the home page is on 192.168.1.1 and the DHCP range is from 192.168.1.100 to 199, so you will need to change a few things like the default gateway address.

There is a lot of info on my website, and I am in the process of adding some extra guides, based on forum feedback. Its not simply plug and play like the home hub, and people need to be able to spend some time getting things the way they want, and testing to see if things work as they expect them to.

I hope you find the information on my website helpful.

If you need help, please ask, as I have one here, plus a spare, and also one I remote manage.

Please update this thread, as it may help others.

0 Ratings
bakerloou
Beginner
Message 7 of 9

Back again...

Returned the router as it didn't solve the issue, even when we setup and tested QoS etc. Back to square one.

Anything else you can suggest as an improvement? 

If not, time to get on the phone to BT and moan... Or leave...

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 9

@bakerloou wrote:

Back again...

Returned the router as it didn't solve the issue, even when we setup and tested QoS etc. Back to square one.

The TP link router needs a lot of careful configuration. Recording device IP adresses of devices, then reserving them so they cannot change. That has to be done before any QOS and bandwidth control is implemented.

I had a long discussion with another forum member about this, and provided some suitable settings. I don`t think they realised what needed to be done. This is the same on all routers that implement traffic controls.

I wonder if you actually went through the correct procedure?

This is what we ended up with, on a ADSL 888Kbs uplink speed. These are starting values that can be adjusted to suit.

bandwidth assist.jpg

All those IP addresses had been reserved against each individual user.

Anyway, its academic now, as you have returned the router. You had far more bandwidth to play with. Restricting the upload priority would normally have the best results, as problems normally occur, if someone is uploading a video, as it uses up all of the bandwidth.

I am not aware of any other ISP that provides a router with full traffic management, BT or any other ISP are not going to be able to help with this, it has to be done at the user end.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 9

Image on my last post moved to http://forumhelp.dyndns.info/hardware/TP_link/w9970/special/bandwidth%20assist.jpg to allow for additional notes.

0 Ratings