cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
IBanksy
Contributor
Message 11 of 60

Re: Latency / Ping issues

I've been on the same broadband package for forever and this has only recently become an issue. Usually have 6ms 24/7 and thats with multiple devices streaming. As I said I was the only device connected and saw ping increases of 80+ms. There is something wrong on BT's end but because its not download speed / upload speed they won't investigate. Even though the internet isn't functioning correctly.
0 Ratings
IBanksy
Contributor
Message 12 of 60

Hey ak, I know the feeling. I've experienced some awful times with BT. One time had no internet for the entire summer just because they put in a new customer and messed something up at the exchange and then once they finished it, they didn't reset my line so speeds were stuck. The broadband support didn't even know what ping was LOL. How can they expect us to use internet for gaming if you're constantly spiking. its unusable and unstable. Paying £70+ a month for this service and connection is dreadful. On the phone they wouldn't even offer an engineer 😄
0 Ratings
IBanksy
Contributor
Message 13 of 60

The point I'm trying to get across is that there is something wrong and they won't send an engineer to investigate. It is not normal to have 1 device on a connection via ethernet and have constant unstable ping when you've had a stable connection with multiple devices for years. I've done everything humanly possible to prove its not on my end but rather the exchange or the actual line connecting to the house.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
akjmoran
Aspiring Contributor
Message 14 of 60

I’m literally in the exact same boat. I’ve been trying out a few things for a while now and for me it seems to be the ipv6 functionality that is causing the issue. Sometimes when you restart your router the ipv6 becomes disabled and when this takes place I literally have no problems however after around an hour the ipv6 is re enabled and the issues come back however there is no option to manually turn off ipv6 in smart hub settings which is extremely frustrating
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 15 of 60

The most basic test for broadband is to check that your phone line has a dial tone and if so is there any noise on quiet line test. An investment of about £5 on cheap corded phone can save you the £80 for engineer callout

using a filter in test socket even if you currently have a filtered master socket eliminates any problems caused by your internal wiring and a possible faulty faceplate

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
IBanksy
Contributor
Message 16 of 60

Never thought about IPV6 functionality. Don't have a deep enough background into IPV6 on routers to understand why that would cause an issue but honestly with BT routers/hardware I wouldn't put it past them. Even had problems with multiple faulty hotspot connectors (power line adapters). Its quite funny you mentioned how you got charged for a socket change. Why did you have to pay that fee? I thought they would cover it unless they believed you caused the damage (prove it). You should complain about the charge honestly.
0 Ratings
IBanksy
Contributor
Message 17 of 60

Hey @imjolly, thanks for the fast reply. I'll get one to do the quiet line test. Regarding using a filter. Why does it says on the smart hub 2 manual no filter needed on a double master socket compared to a single master socket which does?

https://btsupport.custhelp.com/ci/fattach/get/5380208/1543221981/redirect/1/session/L2F2LzEvdGltZS8x...
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 18 of 60

The filtered sockets are in use normally saving customers having to use external filters in all sockets however to ensure your internal wiring which is connected to the master socket is not causing any problems you need to use a separate filter connected direct to test socket and router connected directly to filter

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
akjmoran
Aspiring Contributor
Message 19 of 60

I made a post 2 months ago about this and followed all the steps a moderator asked me to including the quiet line test and I have still been unable to fix this.
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 20 of 60

@IBanksy  @akjmoran

It is very confusing with 2 customers posting about similar problems on the same thread. The cause/solution may be totally different

0 Ratings