Contributor
Message 21 of 60

Re: Latency / Ping issues

Hey,
Network uptime:
0 Days, 02 Hours 05 Minutes
System uptime:
0 Days, 02 Hours 07 Minutes

This doesn't seem normal? Had a laptop, phone and ps4 connected and noticed the internet go funny and checked 2 hours later to see it restart.
0 Ratings
IBanksy
Contributor
Message 22 of 60

Bump // 

Had an engineer out which I was told was due to the line crashing / latency (ping spikes) on the phone but was actually here to do a 'speed boost'. He noticed issues which he fixed and it generally fixed the ping issues that day but they have returned already the following day. Going now from 14ms to 146ms when using the internet. Just signed a new contract with BT being promised for the issues to be fixed. Can I help an actual BT staff forum member to look into the ping issues PLEASE.

0 Ratings
IBanksy
Contributor
Message 23 of 60

We signed a new contract last week because of the new router and BT thought maybe the current one was faulty. The engineer replaced the master socket plate. He moved us on the exchange box and messed around with the cabling outside because he was stumped by the speed issues. The upload has gone up from 9 to 19 which is awesome and the download speed can now reach higher from messing around with the line outside but the ping issues is all I want fixed. It shouldn't be unstable with 1 device and shouldn't spike to 146ms or 300+ ms when you play a damn youtube video.
0 Ratings
IBanksy
Contributor
Message 24 of 60

0 Ratings
akjmoran
Aspiring Contributor
Message 25 of 60

Hi, yeah im still having the exact same issues, filed a formal complaint to which they have called me about and referred me to 3 different ares of the business, tech experts and them seomeone even more senior but all have told me they have no way of measuring ping etc which is ridiculous, if they arent able to sort this by the end of the month then i have decided i will have to switch my isp 

0 Ratings
Highlighted
akjmoran
Aspiring Contributor
Message 26 of 60

Re: Horrible ping spikes and packet loss

Hi @Keith_Beddoe if you are able to contact anyone in bt please can you do so, as you may have noticed me and so many others have been complaining of ping spikes for weeks/months now and nothing seems to be being done about it. I followed what you asked of me on a post i made including the quiet line and checking the wiring of my socket etc but nothing came of it. This seems to be a wider issue with bt with the amount of people i see with the same issue and this needs to be acknowledged by bt as theyre turning a blind eye to it after contacting them so many times 

0 Ratings
IBanksy
Contributor
Message 27 of 60

Yeah. Honestly had enough at this point. Going to look at cancelling if I don't get a fix soon or someone who actually knows what they are talking about. Oh and before someone turns around and says you don't have 'bandwidth' etc. I have 50+ download, and avg ping of 13ms since being moved on the exchange box and an upload of 18+. Like its totally normal to open a video on youtube and your ping spike to 200+ms LOL. Never used to be an issue, so why is it acceptable now. My friend just switched to virgin because BT put it down to crosstalk in the exchange. Virgin have underground cabling or something so hes going with that. Sadly Virgin isn't an option for me. I just want my connection fixed. I pay £70+ a month for this service.
0 Ratings
akjmoran
Aspiring Contributor
Message 28 of 60

Im in the exact same boat, £70 a month and virgin isnt an option for me either but looking at options such as sky as although they may not have as good down/up speeds hopefully it will be stable at least. Having lower down/up wouldnt be as much of an issue as what im experiencing now as any game is literally being made unplayable.

0 Ratings
IBanksy
Contributor
Message 29 of 60

Yeah we have Sky Q so not an awful idea either. Sky actually offer the exact same here. I know they use the same exchange / openreach but honestly BT just don't care. Not that it should matter but been a customer of BT for 10+ years.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 30 of 60

Re: Horrible ping spikes and packet loss

@akjmoran

I am just a customer, so there is nothing I can do. All I can say, is that any downloading or streaming video that is taking place, will affect ping response, its unavoidable, as the upload path is being used by those services, often in blocks of data sent at regular intervals, to control quality and provide statistics back to the provider.

The priority for BT Retail, and most other providers, is to provide a good quality download path to deliver Value Added Services, like BT YouView. Fortunately BT YouView extra channels delivers its services using multicast, which does not require an upload path, which is why it does not interfere with gaming.

Youtube, Netflix, Amazon Video etc, uses unicast, which does use the upload path.

Many years ago, BT did experiment with a trial gaming only service which guaranteed a low ping response, but hat was abandoned after lack of interest.

Bad errors on your line, will cause re-transmissions and also affect ping response, but that would be there, even without any other services being used.

Anyway, lets not hijack this thread, and let see if @Taker44 can be helped.

0 Ratings