cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Gillburg
Beginner
Message 51 of 64

Re: Will an asus router fix my issues?

I have had this issue since the start of the new year, nothing i do will fix this, i think BT has throttled us all, i mean so many people are having the same issue.

I pay £45 a month and i cant play a single online game due to the ping spikes, its really grim

0 Ratings
Syner9y
Aspiring Contributor
Message 52 of 64

Re: Will an asus router fix my issues?

Have a look through the forum - a few people - myself included - resolved this by changing ISP - if you are out of contract and there is capacity at your FTTC cabinet then there is no harm in trying, especially if you choose an ISP that does rolling month to month contracts (you'll even save yourself some money).

There is alot of disinformation in this thread that shows a fundamental misunderstanding of networks, skewed in a light that is positive to BT - again, draw your own conclusions - if you didnt have this problem before, and now you magically do, think before accepting that the internet and its infrastructure, and the fundamentals of networks changed over night.

You may have a genuine problem, but if it is not evident from a basic line test BT wont fix it anyway as latency isnt in the SLA or T&C - but as they advertise FTTC as a gaming service you may get some mileage quoting the Consumer Rights Act 2015, as the product/service has been mis-sold and is not fit for purpose (google broadband consumer advice).

Search the forum, see the DRASTIC increase in this problem occurring since late last year and draw your own conclusions.

Latency spikes should only occur on a saturated connection that doesn't employ QoS or SQM, or if the service (or the route to that service) is under load and congested (very very rare).

I implemented several variants of QoS and bandwidth limitations to no avail, as even limiting the device bandwidth to 1Mbps down and 0.25Mbps up caused issues (again, that changing ISP fixed - without needing to throttle anything).

People should start pinging BT UK Core IP's, at least then the only lie you'd get is that the device treats ICMP as low priority.

Always give BT a chance first though, there is a chance you have a fixible problem, but if you are one of the many that have tried for months to resolve this, you may find that the grass really is greener on the other side.

There are threads like this in other ISP forums, but at least they get resolved (congested VLANS etc) - do your own research before picking a new provider.

Hope you get to see this before it is inevitably deleted, and I am banned.
0 Ratings
AngryNetworking
Aspiring Contributor
Message 53 of 64

BT Consistant and Unfixible problem

Hey there everyone , 

Everyone i see on this post has the exact same issues as me , high ping and also in my case not full download speeds / upload speeds . I pay 40 Pound a month for what was advertised as "67" on the download speed which im currently getting 51 down and 16 up

Now ive had this problem since around October 2018 , around this date BT left openreach as it own company [ what i havbe been told by many of the BT staff ] . I game for money and having constant problems with my internet is just god awful . I promise you all now changing ISP's to another ISP that uses the open reach network WILL NOT do anything . I previoisly was on EE i was with them since 2016-2019 March , i left them hoping that the switch to BT would fix everything which it didnt .

I joined BT early april and have had the exact same issue , high ping , unstable speeds , unstable SNR noise ratio even though it has been hard set to 6dB by the advanced engineers that have been to my house . For the record ive had 15 Engineers/Advanced engineers to my house . They have done everything and they have been that many times i recognise the engineers when they come as openreach use the same engineers for different areas . All of them in there right have tried there best . They have done the basic stuff to try fix the problem and it hasnt worked . They have done advanced stuff to fix the problem like replacing the ports and changing the pairs at the cabinet and my house and at the Distribution point ... still nothing worked , ive had a lift and shift and still nothing worked ... we have even had the master socket moved to a different part of my house and guess what ? still nothing worked ... 

Now im kind of glad that im not the only one having this issue and there alot and i mean alot of people having this issue yet BT are not fixing the problem . If you are on a ISP like sky , plusnet , zen , talktalk , EE , vodaphone and any others that use the OPENREACH NETWORK then there is no fix until one individual finds a solution at OPENREACH .

2 Main NETWORKS in the UK are OPENREACH and VIRGIN MEDIA . Now what i recommend is if you have virgin media available in your area , is to switch to them as they are a whole different network ... But if you are unfortunate like my self you are stuck with OPENREACH providers then there is no fix unfortunatly ...

And to answer the questions if an advanced 3rd party router with QoS will fix the issue ... the answer is it wont . I spend 250 Pounds on a Netgear Nighthawk xr500 and optimised my settings with the QoS and the Antibufferbloat setting and still have the exact same issues . You can try Portforwarding the ports of your game , i did this for call of duty black ops 4 as i play for money and still AGAIN NOTHING WORKED . i still constantly get spikes of 30 - 300 sometimes even 700 ms of bufferbloat on my line yet the OPENREACH engineers cant detect and even after i have showed them my problems of lag and bufferbloat they still dont have a clue . 

When We say BT need to fix this problem or EE need to fix this problem or any provider to fix this problem you need to really be getting openreach to fix the problem as i explained in 1 of the paragraphs above there is only 2 major networks in the UK and that is VIRGIN MEDIA and OPENREACH ... so open reach are to blame .

Ive even had the technical team of my Nighthawk xr500 over in america to try optimise my router to try fix the issue and even they say its the provider which i 100% agree with .

im not too sure with virgin media but all the companys Like BT ,EE , TalkTalk etc that run on the OPENREACH network false advertise . The package i bought was 67 download yet i only recieve 51 download ? something just isnt right . Any speeds that are above 50download are on a 80/20 circuit at the cabinet . the 80 being the download on the circuit and the 20 being the upload . If 80 is the download on the family bt packages the why are we recieving less ?

When i talk of BT i basicly mean all providers on the OPENREACH network because its just all the same . False advertisement at its finest and just to back up my proof , when i was with EE for years and the problems occured in october 2018 i was paying for 67 that was what my package was promoting but when i had calls with them every 2 days around early december they managed to make my download at 77mbps , so if these companys say they cant control download which is what they tell everyone , they can . Clearly proven by EE infront of my eyes .

There is no hope for us under the OPENREACH network ... there really isnt . Before i get people telling me to change this in my settings and change that , HONESTLY i have tried EVERYTHING . there is no fix and OPENREACH / all the companys that use openreach network are just stuck up and refuse properly investigate . All they will do is send engineers to your house and if none of them can fix your problem they will offer you to leave free of charge . This is happend with EE which i did leave them free of charge with all my monthly money back and now BT are offering the same . 

The only thing we can all do is create a petition to get OPENREACH to fix the issue , maybe creating a petition or complain to OfCom about the Open reach network . I 100% guerentee that all other providers under OPENREACH in there forums will be people like is complaining about the ping and how everything used to be fine before last year and you could actually use all of your devices . God i remember last year when i could Play COD live stream COD on my PC whilst my family members are all watcing netflix or nowtv or even the amazon firestick and downloading movies at the same time and streaming music like spotify and i would not have a damn problem , ALL that was while i was LIVESTREAMING !!! 

Like i said we all need to come together to make a huge petition because ive been told OPENREACH will not fix the problem for just 1 person unless alot people in the same area are having the same problems , i tested the connection at my friends house which he is on the same cabinet/line as me and same package and they still had exact same issues . It seems only major places that i have personally noticed dont have an issue , at my sisterinlaws shes on the same package yet no problem with lag at hers with alot of people using the internet yet they are closer to the excahnge . 

Like i said we should start a petition ... thats the only way i see OPENREACH acknowledging that there is a problem

Rant/INFO over !!!

DO NOT WASTE TIME BUYING 3RD PARTY ROUTERS !

0 Ratings
Reaps
Contributor
Message 54 of 64

Re: BT Consistant and Unfixible problem

I agree here, this is a BT issue.

I've just moved to Zen, installation is tomorrow.

I've had this issue for a few months now and I've had many engineers come to my house, to say that my line is perfect.

The issue, from narrowing it down - is that YouView traffic is being prioritized above and beyond what normal data traffic is being sent, whether you have YouView or not. YouView traffic from your neighours is saturating BTs infrastructure. 

The only way to resolve this, is to move to another ISP, who don't have IPTV services on their network, as BT and their support lines are incapable of resolving this. It needs to be brought to their infrastructure team's attention, but that's almost impossible.

This my graph of latency:

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/quality/share/3231b72aaeddbe9affa9fa90faf557992b...

I'm pretty confident - when I move to Zen tomorrow - this will be back to normal (a nice flat green graph).

0 Ratings
Chris17
Beginner
Message 55 of 64

Re: Latency / Ping issues

It sounds like you have the exact same problem as me the first year or so was amazing and could game perfectly on it but for the past couple of months it has been absolutely horrendous with 50+ ping non stop and even low download and upload it is so jittery I also just use my pc with an Ethernet cable as the only thing connected and all they say is well it isn't anything to do with us we don't control it and link me some **bleep**ty website and how to supposledy improve it (never works) also other providers guarantee a low ping and latency which they control so how the **bleep** do these people not control it absoulute disgrace 

0 Ratings
Reaps
Contributor
Message 56 of 64

I feel your pain, sir.

I had to move ISP to fix the issue.

I'm now with Zen and my ping graphs are pretty much flat throughout the day, no matter what we're doing in the house.

Only way to fix is to move ISP unfortunately, so see what you can do that.

You should request a BT engineer, several times, so you get a case manager assigned (after 3 visits), then complain to him directly. It's the only way I was able to leave my contract after 3 months, with many months left on it.

0 Ratings
Chris17
Beginner
Message 57 of 64

**bleep** that sounds annoying 

0 Ratings
ConflictStorm
Beginner
Message 58 of 64

Hi,

I have been having similar issues to yourself in the form of while playing games (CSGO) and being ping sensitive I noticed that on occasion that the ping would shoot up to 130 plus and then drop back down to normal. I have narrowed it down to the fact that my wife would watch videos on Facebook. 

When speaking to a friend he suggested looking into an issue called Bufferbloat, in which the basic modems/routers do not have any kind of QoS so do not prioritise Gaming and such as VoIP. Using a modem that supports QoS could help deal with those issues you mention. 

Not sure if this was mentioned in a previous post but this is something I am dealing with myself, I have an ASUS AC68U Modem/Router that I am currently trying to configure at the moment.

0 Ratings
Reaps
Contributor
Message 59 of 64

This wouldn't happen on other ISPs.

It's a BT issue, paying top dollar for it, you shouldn't have to configure QoS to get this to work better, especially if you're on the top package. I had buffer bloat, nothing BT could do about it... hence me leaving.

Syner9y
Aspiring Contributor
Message 60 of 64

This is not buffer bloat. If it was buffer bloat it would spike all the time with normal activity.

I tried with a Netduma R1, and a custom router with cake QoS on OpenWRT which removed all buffer bloat - I could download with my entire line speed and ping would stay the same, but the millisecond a video was being streamed, latency spikes.

Only way to fix it is to move to an LLU provider in your area.

0 Ratings