cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
IBanksy
Contributor
Message 1 of 60

Latency / Ping issues

Hey, I've been with BT for years now and have had a few issues over the years who hasn't (last broadband issue 2+ years ago) 

So my current issue is having high latency which is my ping going from 6ms to 100+ms (generally unstable). If you're doing nothing on the internet you will have a jitter of 1ms so 6ms to 7ms but if you open a stream or a youtube video or just even use the internet the ping will spike to 50+ / unstable. I am gathering this information by ping 8.8.8.8 -t in cmd as I have been monitoring the connection due to not actually being able to game on it.  I've asked for an engineer to come find  /resolve the issue and they told me they can't because they cant see an issue with the speed but the speed isn't the issue.. its the ping?/latency being unstable.  So what can I do to get an engineer out to fix the issue?

Things I've done to try and resolve the issue:

Replaced the router with the new BT smart hub 2.

Replaced the ASDL cable with the new one they gave us in the box with the new router.

Removed all devices except my computer (Computer is connected via Ethernet) still the same issue.

I've also reset the router to factory settings 

Talked to support x3 and they don't have a clue what ping is which suprised me. 

0 Ratings
59 REPLIES 59
IBanksy
Contributor
Message 2 of 60

Re: Latency / Ping issues

They also keep mentioning how ping isn't part of the contract but if you don't have stable ping how can you game which is what the package says its for.   The package is described as “perfect for streaming, gaming, watching and download on multiple devices!” Superfast fibre plus. Can't even game on one device right now let alone two. 

0 Ratings
IBanksy
Contributor
Message 3 of 60

Speeds of 51 Download and 12 upload right now.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 60

I moved your thread to correct board

can you post stats from your router. If hh6 then advanced settings then technical log information 

are you using test socket with filter to see if. That helps

any line noise?  Try quiet line test dial 17070 option 2 should be silent and best with corded phone 

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 60

If you want to do gaming, then its simple, just make sure there are no other connections active, and then you will have exclusive use of the upload and download path.

Once you start streaming data, then that is going to affect the latency, however fast your connection is. Even Internet browsing now uses more bandwidth that it used to do, owing to higher quality images, and embedded videos.

You can mitigate the effects of this to a certain extent, by using a router which allows Quality Of Service controls to be applied, so if you have a gaming console, it can be given the highest priority, while all other devices have a low priority, and their upload rate throttled back.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 60

@Keith_Beddoe

@IBanksy Covered other devices problem by only having pc connected - assuming ensured no mobiles connected

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 60

@imjolly wrote:

@Keith_Beddoe

@IBanksy Covered other devices problem by only having pc connected - assuming ensured no mobiles connected

From original post "If you're doing nothing on the internet you will have a jitter of 1ms so 6ms to 7ms but if you open a stream or a youtube video or just even use the internet the ping will spike to 50+ / unstable"

This to me implies that its fine if no other device or stream is opened.

So what is it like with just a gaming console connected, Xbox PS4 etc?

Gaming on a PC could be problematic, unless you could ensure that no other background tasks are running, which are using the Internet connection. So no streaming video or browsing the Internet, while in a game.

0 Ratings
akjmoran
Aspiring Contributor
Message 8 of 60

Hi, I and so many other people on these forums are having the exact problem as banksy, this is an issue with bt however they just seem incompetent as none of the people at support know what they're talking about. I have followed every step that has been suggested to me eg calling to see if there is any sound on the line and i have had to pay £80 to have an engineer install new sockets which has done nothing. This is getting a joke it has been happening to me for almost 3 months now.

0 Ratings
IBanksy
Contributor
Message 9 of 60

Product code:Smart Hub 2
Serial number:+091298+1833001810
Firmware version:v0.10.00.08274-BT
Firmware updated:Thu Jan 10 15:10:07 2019
Board version:R01
GUI version:1.52 20_06_2018
DSL uptime:0 days,06 Hours08 Mins34 Secs
Data rate:12.702 Mbps / 57.784 Mbps
Maximum data rate:12.550 Mbps / 58.199 Mbps
Noise margin:5.9 / 5.9
Line attenuation:25.1 / 34.7
Signal attenuation:24.6 / 36.4
VLAN id:101
Upstream error control:Off
Downstream error control:Off
Data sent / received:629.3 MB Uploaded / 24.3 GB Downloaded
Broadband username:bthomehub@btbroadband.com
BT Wi-fi:Activated
2.4 GHz wireless network name:BT-N3A2QN
2.4 GHz wireless channel:Smart (Channel11)
5 GHz wireless network name:BT-N3A2QN
5 GHz wireless channel:Smart (Channel36)
Wireless security:WPA2 (Recommanded)
Wireless mode:Mode 1
Firewall:On
MAC address:4C:1B:86:79:88:1B
Software variant:-
Boot loader: 0.1.7-BT (Thu Nov 30 09:45:22 2017
0 Ratings
IBanksy
Contributor
Message 10 of 60

I have two sockets and according to my manual I shouldn't use the filter apparently because of this. I don't have a landline so can't do the line test. Haven't had a landline in years because we haven't had any use for one.
0 Ratings