cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Dejomo1
Beginner
Message 1 of 9

Latency Spikes when trying to game whilst someone else is streaming (e.g. Netflix)

Hi,

As many others have complained about... 

I am experiencing severe increases in ping times when Netflix or any other streaming service is used. 

As copied from another thread these Symptoms are as mentioned in these posts:

https://community.bt.com/t5/Home-setup-Wi-Fi-network/Recent-online-gaming-ping-spikes-when-streaming...

https://community.bt.com/t5/Home-setup-Wi-Fi-network/Latency-issue/m-p/1999796#M170544

My connection measures 35Mbps down and 6Mbps up.  I get a consistent 30ms ping when using a wireless connection.  Once streaming via Netflix is started pings jump to high readings, often 350ms. This makes gaming impossible regardless of Internet speed. 

It's amazing how this problem has been happening for over a year and BT are yet to sort it out. 

See ping results whilst streaming Netflix. 

Regards,

Dean

0 Ratings
8 REPLIES 8
Dejomo1
Beginner
Message 2 of 9

Re: Latency Spikes when trying to game whilst someone else is streaming (e.g. Netflix)

Screenshot_20200202_001259.jpg

Spikes happen consistently every few seconds 

0 Ratings
Dejomo1
Beginner
Message 3 of 9

Re: Latency Spikes when trying to game whilst someone else is streaming (e.g. Netflix)

Screenshot_20200202_002108.jpg

consistent as is should be when Netflix isn't in use

It's infuriating superfast fibre should not be like this when streaming one thing and playing a game at the same time 

0 Ratings
Dejomo1
Beginner
Message 4 of 9

Someone is currently using NowTV which is resulting in spikes more often 

Screenshot_20200202_143520.jpg

0 Ratings
Dejomo1
Beginner
Message 5 of 9

Got an engineer coming out to have a look tomorrow afternoon. Don't have much hope but you never know.

If not I might try a 3rd party router, although reading other people's experiences this doesn't normally make a different for this problem. 

Anyone got any other suggestions? 

0 Ratings
pjones
Contributor
Message 6 of 9

I do have 3rd party router - it doesnt fix issues, my pings spikes during online gaming too

0 Ratings
Dejomo1
Beginner
Message 7 of 9

How often would you say it happens? For me probably every 3-4 seconds pretty consistently 

0 Ratings
Grewer
Contributor
Message 8 of 9

I also have a third party router and it doesn't improve the situation.  Some members on the forum suggest restricting Netflix traffic to reduce bandwidth but this really just seems to reduce the problem rather than remove it.    Basically you are artificially reducing the impact streaming has on your connection.

A moderator on this forum has picked up my case, but the first fix attempt has been unsuccessful.  Awaiting a response at the moment and have been promised feedback today or tomorrow.  You can follow along here...

https://community.bt.com/t5/Home-setup-Wi-Fi-network/Latency-Spikes-when-Streaming-Services-are-in-U...

The second page shows some tests I performed at a neighbour's house with a different ISP.

My service seems to be affected every 4/6 ping requests.  

Dejomo1
Beginner
Message 9 of 9

Screenshot_20200208_212241.jpg

 someone using 4od tonight resultsing in some crazy jitter

Still ongoing with engineers externally according to MyBT account 

0 Ratings