cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
lolowalsh
Contributor
Message 101 of 295

Re: Latency Variation (Ping Spikes) during online gaming.

Go to solution

@h3x1e  Tested Overwatch yesterday with Netflix being on ping was 40-70ms to the EU servers higher than I'm usually on but even at 70 ms Overwatch did not lag, FIFA in the other hand unplayable when netflix is on insane delay and ping spikes all over the place. 

The conclusion is: game that  I can play  with youtube or twitch being on with no lag even if it pings spike: Apex, COD, Overwatch, Destiny etc... I guess those game have better servers maybe 

Fifa is the only game that only ping spikes massively when I'm streaming anything, crazy a Facebook video will cause FIFA to jitter hard.

0 Ratings
lolowalsh
Contributor
Message 102 of 295

Go to solution

Conclusion:

BT has managed to fix my ping issues when the NETWORK IS IDLE cause I used to have random ping spikes without streaming anything. 

However BT did not manage to fix the issue that most people suffer from is the ping spikes when something is being streamed. 

I'm in a lucky position that I live alone most of the time so I never realised these issues happening because I'm the only one at home 95% of the time, I only started to realize things happening to me is when I did have these ping spikes at random points during the day.

0 Ratings
lolowalsh
Contributor
Message 103 of 295

Go to solution

These are the traceroute to Overwatch EU servers whilst playing a 1080p youtube 

Untitled.png

0 Ratings
Bloodraven
Aspiring Contributor
Message 104 of 295

Go to solution

I rang BT customer service twice trying to explain the issue, first person didn't understand what I was on about. Second person was unhelpful saying that I couldn't report a fault because there wasn't one, and also saying I couldn't talk to the technical team because it would cost me £8 a month.

Any help guys I can't get through to people who understand whats at fault?

0 Ratings
lolowalsh
Contributor
Message 105 of 295

Go to solution

Call them next time and threathen to leave they will start listening. 

0 Ratings
Bloodraven
Aspiring Contributor
Message 106 of 295

Go to solution

Third person I got to on the same number was actually extremely helpful and actually understood networking: like what a packet is, what latency is etc, whereas the previous two did not.  He found a fault on the dropline and a boost engineer is being sent, im sceptical with it being the reason for the high ping spikes and jitter whilst streaming but at leastnow I have a proper route to use to get a hold of someone as there is a registered fault at my address.

Will keep you guys posted if things get better or stay the same after it happens.

0 Ratings
h3x1e
Expert
Message 107 of 295

Go to solution

Yeah @lolowalsh those two hops that are on the node at 31.55.186.XXX are the ones causing the issues imo. The fact that one of the nodes only SOMETIMES responds to ICMP (ping) is weird too, never seen it before personally, it either does or it doesn't.

The 48ms - 51ms pings on that hop shows the issue remains.

I spoke to Stuart from the forum MOD team who's now taking over my complaint and gonna try and forward it to the right people to have a closer look.

0 Ratings
thequila
Aspiring Contributor
Message 108 of 295

Go to solution

Hi,

I have exactly same issue while playing Dota2 and streaming on firestick. I have the fibre package.

0 Ratings
h3x1e
Expert
Message 109 of 295

Go to solution

A little off topic but this is Netflix for me every day between 16:00-18:00.

netflix_notloading.jpg

Doesnt load at all just raw HTML again, as as the previous image I shared.

0 Ratings
h3x1e
Expert
Message 110 of 295

Go to solution

So, after the heavy rain we had the last couple days, the phone line is now crackling and the internet has disconnected and re-synced when the phone has run. Maybe some water getting into the network somewhere?

Don't know if any of the mods here working on my case could look at this, as if this is now an issue it could cloud any fixes that might be put in place for the ping issue.

0 Ratings