cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jonnye71
Beginner
Message 161 of 295

Re: Latency Variation (Ping Spikes) during online gaming.

Go to solution

Also thank you for all the work you’ve done on this so far!

0 Ratings
h3x1e
Expert
Message 162 of 295

Go to solution

I'm in contact with one of the forum mods who's talking to the network team within BT atm. They collecting data and hopefully gonna be able to look at the core network, especially the 3rd hop as most people get packet loss there.

The problem is, there's so many things that can cause ping spikes it's gonna take some time to find exactly whats causing it.

There's also intermittent nosie on my line during bad weather, so i'm trying to rule that out being an issue at the moment. (hasn't happened since Welsh water fixed a leak which was right next to an underground Openreach box it seems) but yeah im testing that too.

People with the issue need to make threads, and list exactly how they're connected to their router and show ping results when there is zero load on the connection and when there is load on the connection whether it be a Netflix video or a Twitch stream or a STEAM Download, whatever.

Also, there are no BT Openzone / FON access points anywhere near my house either so I can't test routing there. (People have said the ping issues go away when connected by Openzone / FON)

jonnye71
Beginner
Message 163 of 295

Go to solution
Thanks so much for the info! Very helpful.
Could you recommend a website to test my ping?
0 Ratings
h3x1e
Expert
Message 164 of 295

Go to solution

Download Ping Plotter and Ping Logger, both good programmes for showing ping fluctuation in graph form.

jonnye71
Beginner
Message 165 of 295

Go to solution

Will they be good for showing ping when gaming on my PS4 ?as that’s my main issue.

when Netflix or streaming services are being used the ping is horrendous. 

0 Ratings
jonnye71
Beginner
Message 166 of 295

Go to solution
What do you mean by connected by open zone/fon?
0 Ratings
h3x1e
Expert
Message 167 of 295

Go to solution

http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/10992/~/what-is-btwifi-with-fon%3F

If you have a laptop connect it to the hub and run the tests on it while Netflix is buffering video to see if you get the ping spikes.

Your PS4 should be connected by Ethernet cable to the hub also, if you're connected via WiFi that's more than likley the problem.

0 Ratings
lolowalsh
Contributor
Message 168 of 295

Go to solution

These are ping Tests to Overwatch EU servers using BT with phone with a Twitch 1080p stream playing no to little packet loss

Untitled.png

Untitled1.png

0 Ratings
lolowalsh
Contributor
Message 169 of 295

Go to solution

BT with phone is more stable I don't know why and how ? I know the ping is not that brilliant but if you live in area where you can get a decent speed with BT with phone It's actually way better than using your regular broadband.

0 Ratings
lolowalsh
Contributor
Message 170 of 295

Go to solution

these are without using BT with fone on my 55 down and 10 up connection pinging to Overwatch EU servers whilst playing a twitch stream look at the packet loss Untitled.png

0 Ratings