cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
h3x1e
Aspiring Expert
Message 211 of 274

Re: Latency Variation (Ping Spikes) during online gaming.

Todays update:

Net is completly fine stability wise, no re-syncs and everything (except ping) is working correctly. Screenshots below of when watching a twitch stream at around 1MB/s of bandwidth usage and also when the connections is idle.

Ping_Plotter_WatchingStream.jpg

As you can see above, same behaviour as with my own personal setup is happening on the BT Smart HUB.

Ping_Plotter_NotWatchingStream.jpg

Even though this is slow to perfect for a ping when not watching a stream or no load on the connection hop 6 does seem to spike a little as you can see from the average ping indicator.

Compared to hope 3-4-5 indicating like 2-3 MS jitter, hop 6 does show a big spike (and it got close to it's max a few times during the test)  im seeing about 18-20ms spike which is pretty bad.

0 Ratings
h3x1e
Aspiring Expert
Message 212 of 274

So something I haven't posted results for in a while is while im the only device connected to the network.
Below shows that my PC is the only device connected to the Smart Hub, also included the resulting ping plotter while watching a 1080p 60fps 1MB/s usage twitch stream.

1. BTHUb_Stats_1Device.jpg

As is shown, only my PC is connected to port 1 of the hub, you can see how many are ususaly connected. Port 2 is brothers PC, Port 3 is back room equipment, CCTV, Sky Box and a BluRay player, Port 4 is my WiFi solution where everything else is connected, Laptops Phones etc. See next Post for PingPlotter results as I cant post this with 2 images anymore.

0 Ratings
h3x1e
Aspiring Expert
Message 213 of 274

Below is a ping plotter result when watching a Twitch Stream at around 1MB/s network usage (I have 3.8MB/s throughput)

Ping_Plotter_1Device_Stream.jpg

0 Ratings
hawicky
Aspiring Contributor
Message 214 of 274

Had one of the worst series of ping spikes today, pinging to Amsterdam went up to nearly 300ms! Getting really tired of this...

ping 18.09.jpg

0 Ratings
h3x1e
Aspiring Expert
Message 215 of 274

I've been asked to be the only one using the internet for an hour. That hour started at 17:25. I'm also going to post ping plotters during the 1 hour. Some while watching a stream and some when absolutly nothing is using the connection. You will be able to see the network usage from the NetLimiter Screenshots. These test will be segmented into different posts if I cant post them all in one.

Firstly showing a screenshot of only my PC connected to the home hub. Devices shown at the top in blue are saved devices for when they're re-connected.

Port 1: My PC

Port 2: Brothers PC

Port 3: Back Room - SkyBox, BluRay and CCTV

Port 4: WiFi Solution - Smartphones, Alexas, Laptops etc.

White Space is to show nothing else is connected, also see Filter: Connected

BT_Hub_Only_me_connected.jpg

First Screenshots below are of the moments after I disconnected everything else from the HUB, Wifi is Off..

NetLimiter_Usage_OnlyMe.jpg

Ping Plotter Results below, pretty damn good although hop 6 does spike the others dont.ping_plotter_only_me_NO_stream.jpg

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Next we can take a look at a PingPlotter and NetLimiter that shows network usage and the resulting pings while watching a twitch stream. I've also included the stream stats as shown in the Twitch Player.

usage_while_watching_twitch_stream.jpg

As you can see all the nodes start having a hissy fit while watching a twitch stream.ping_plotter_StreamON.jpg

Stream stats below: Shows Bitrate (Network Usage) Delay, FPS.

stream_stats_1730.jpg

0 Ratings
h3x1e
Aspiring Expert
Message 216 of 274

Second test while downloading a game on Steam, capped at 1MB/s I will also include a screenshot of my MAX Throughput when downloading on steam of 3.7MB/s

As you can see below, netlimiter used to cap steam @ 1MB/s

NetLimiter_Steam_Limited_to_1MB.jpg

The Resulting ping plotter graph below, surprisingly not too bad on BT nodes, looks similar to idle.

ping_plotter_steam_downloading_1MB.jpg

This is just a screenshot showing my maximum download throughput on steam.

Steam_Max_Throughput.jpg

0 Ratings
h3x1e
Aspiring Expert
Message 217 of 274

Okay so, that hour is done with. All Results are posted above.

This next hour is dedicated to testing with all other devices connected. See below for ping plotters and NetLimiter showing my PC network usage, during a time with NO Stream active. I've also included a screenshot of the HUB to show the connected devices.

BT_Hub_Connected_All.jpg

Net Limiter showing network usage from my PC. As you can see now stream running nothing downloading.

NetLimiter_AllConnected_NoStream.jpg

PingPlotter below showing pretty good results with an idle network (not perfect) but as you can see Hop 6 is spiking still but it's nowhere near like all the hops spiking when watching a stream.

ping_Ploltter_allConnected_noStream.jpg

0 Ratings
h3x1e
Aspiring Expert
Message 218 of 274

Okay here comes results with stream ON. This is the exact same stream as I used in the previous tests.

NetLimiter below showing the usage of the stream.

NetLimiter_AllConnected_StreamON.jpg

PingPlotter results from the test while all devices in the hosue are once again connected to the HUB, surprisingly it looks better, but don't be fooled this is still 15-20ms jitter, but this is a good result in coimparrison to what it ususaly is.... for some weird reason.

Ping_Plotter_StreamON_AllConnected.jpg

Below Image shows the stats of the stream on Twitch once again.

Stream_stats_all_connected.jpg

0 Ratings
shamus1
Expert
Message 219 of 274

ive just moved to sky and got there latest router and my gaming and streaming problems are all gone and can use internet like I once was able to with bt.

0 Ratings
h3x1e
Aspiring Expert
Message 220 of 274

GZ, that's not an option for me right now.

BONUS RESULTS: 2 Twitch Streams running (Standard setup for the house)

NetLimiter showing both streams running and the overall usage.

bonus_NetLimiter_2StreamON.jpg

Ping Plotter showing very bad results when two Twitch streams are running.

bonus_pingPlotter_2StreamON.jpg

0 Ratings