cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
lolowalsh
Contributor
Message 71 of 274

Re: Latency Variation (Ping Spikes) during online gaming.

If I had a response like this, I'd be fuming. Ask to leave and terminate your contract, they will start listening.

0 Ratings
h3x1e
Aspiring Expert
Message 72 of 274

They're already aware that i'll be taking this further, contacting the Chief Exec and writing to the Communications Ombudsmen.

0 Ratings
h3x1e
Aspiring Expert
Message 73 of 274

Since the email screenshot was removed.

I was blatantly lied to by a member of the "Offline Team" regarding how much bandwidth a game uses when it's being played. Email went something to the effect of:

"When playing a game on Xbox one or PS4 it can use 15Mbps of your connection"

The lovely Offline Team then advised me to "Upgrade" my package to a better one.

Just to be clear and put this in perspective, a typical 1080p 60fps Twitch Stream uses 1MB/s of bandwidth (about 10Mbps) and they're trying to tell me games (which use minimal bandwidth, probably about 50-200Kbps) is using the same as streamed video data.

Absolutely disgusting response to evidence showing the BT network is at fault. I'm really starting to get angry here.

0 Ratings
Message 74 of 274

Hi @h3x1e 

I'm really sorry that you have been experiencing latency issues.

I have sent you a private message with instructions on how you can send us over your details and we'll look into this for you. See: Private messages

Cheers,

Robbie

Community ModeratorRobbieMac
Did you get the help you needed?
Help others by clicking on ‘Mark as accepted solution’
Show your appreciation!
Click on the star next to a reply to say thanks
Help guide to using the community? Click below
Kudos”Kudos”
0 Ratings
h3x1e
Aspiring Expert
Message 75 of 274

Thank you Robbie, message has been sent with the information required.

0 Ratings
shamus1
Expert
Message 76 of 274

this is not a one off problem as I have the same problem but I have not got the energy to chase it up so its more widespread than just one persons connection,also on sky broadband forums they are starting to see this problem too?

0 Ratings
h3x1e
Aspiring Expert
Message 77 of 274

I dunno, Sky seems fine in my area? tested at a neighbors and was getting a steady 17ms for a full 5 min ping while watching twitch @ 1080p 60fps (1MB/s) bandwidth usage. Their sync speed is lower than mine too.

0 Ratings
CloudGamer
Contributor
Message 78 of 274

We can use ThinkBroadbands speed test to help show what could be causing ping and packet loss spikes.  Unfortunately we can not use BQM on Smart Hubs due to lack of WAN port.    We could use third party routers tgat provide management of QoS profiles for latest cloud gaming services but we cant even use Smart Hub as modem for these gaming spec routers.     Also worth noting is BTs stance on using third party routers for optimising our local network for networking demands of modern gaming services.  http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/13744/related/1/session/L2F2LzEvdGltZS8xNTY0MDY3ODc5L...Screenshot_20190726-142545.pngScreenshot_20190726-142617.pngScreenshot_20190726-142651.png

0 Ratings
h3x1e
Aspiring Expert
Message 79 of 274

It's nothing to do with any home equipment, both my own Router / Modem, HUB and Engineers HUB all tested and it still happens. There's also much better ways of testing ping than using a speed test which pings once every test you run.

Speed testing is irrelevant here, there is nothing wrong with Sync Speed / Throughput or line stability.

Also QoS doesn't work, I've set it up so my Buffer Bloat rating is A, no difference apparent from reducing connection speed to 10Mbps below Sync.

thinkBB_ping.jpg

If you want to diagnose ping issues through Thinkbroadband you're better off using their ping tester, as above.

0 Ratings
CloudGamer
Contributor
Message 80 of 274

I would love to use BQM to monitor packet loss and ping spike issues.   But I can't even use a BT Smart Hub to do this.    I do not think think this coincidental.    BT are shaping our network traffic which is cause of ping and packet loss spikes when gaming.   I pay for Superfast 2 which used to be a 76 Mbps service when I first started subscribing.  At that time Superfast 1 package was rated as 38 Mbps service.   But nobody was opting in to Superfast voluntarily, even after BT making sure 95% of the population in UK had access to Superfast.    Now Superfast 1 users see 50 Mbps with no upgrades to the now gimped 67Mbps Superfast 2 option.    I been a BT customer for about ten years and have never demanded so much from my internet connection as I currently do as a cloud gamer using cloud gaming services.    BT is messing with my internet connection and am sure another service provider will let me use third party routers more easily as they are not worried about shaping my internet traffic as much.   Also worth mentioning is about one year ago BT engineers found an underground fault which affected QoS when fixing a land line fault.   They told me it a rare issue and I should definitely contact BT if I ever see issues with internet connection again and they would happily fix again.   BT support don't believe me I have or even had an underground fault, since their speed test is good and there "is no record of any under ground fault".  Try explaining packet loss and ping spikes to BT support.   I have had four "complaint" tickets about this already.    BT support totally sucks.  All this is totally relative to BTs promised guarantee to Ultrafast users.   There is no Ultrafast options in my area yet but my Superfast connection is being messed with by BT so they can keep those promises to Ultrafast users.  I am sure BT are shaping our network traffic causing ping and packet loss spikes when streaming interactive content over the internet from Data Centre.   I was surprised at the really bad upload results in ThinkBroadband speed test and am sure my bad upload performance is key to bad performance in interactive content streamed from Data Centre.   

Here is BTs official view on using third party routers with BT service.  http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/13744/related/1/session/L2F2LzEvdGltZS8xNTY0MDY3ODc5L...

High bufferbloat on my internet connection could very well be the cause of high ping and packet loss spikes in my favourite streaming apps for cloud gaming.    It at least shows there are issues with my ISP and/or internet connection.

0 Ratings