cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
CloudGamer
Contributor
Message 81 of 274

Re: Latency Variation (Ping Spikes) during online gaming.

Can you share more info on how you "

...I've set it up so my Buffer Bloat rating is A, no difference apparent from reducing connection speed to 10Mbps below Sync.

" ?.      

0 Ratings
lolowalsh
Contributor
Message 82 of 274

@h3x1e I haven't had in ping spike for over 48 hrs now, I know my issue was a different to yours since I got ping spikes when the network is idle but it seem since the power cut due to thunderstorms my ping is stable for now.

I tested playing 1 YouTube video and 1 twitch stream  my ping on overwatch was  35-40 so it was playable, other games I tested: fortnite, apex and call of duty were fine.

Fifa though is another story constant lag and freezes and it was unplayable... so I don't really know what's wrong with fifa, maybe they have bad servers I don't know.

0 Ratings
h3x1e
Aspiring Expert
Message 83 of 274

@CloudGamer go here http://www.dslreports.com/speedtest it should give you 3 Ratings, one will be buffer bloat.

0 Ratings
CloudGamer
Contributor
Message 84 of 274

@h3x1eI use Think Broadband speed test but did as you suggested and score a rating of "C" for buffer bloat in that other speed test you suggested.  My bufferbloat rating is much lower in ThinkBroadbands speed test upload results (E or F).     I regularly see up to 76Mbps down speeds but upload is as low as 10 Mbps when I do.   This is biggest reason for me to believe what BT are doing to my Superfast 2 connection to gimp it to 67Mbps is adversely affecting quality of internet connection.    When I first subscribed to Superfast it was a 76 Mbps service but now on BT Store pages Superfast 2 is a 67Mbps service. 

As Ultrafast has been rolling out I have seen steady degradation of QoS on my BT provided internet connect and is why I suspect BTs promises to Ultrafast users is adversely affecting QoS for non Ultrafast users.   Are BT shaping our network traffic and messing with our available bandwidths and QoS?.

I upgraded my BT Home Hub 5 to a Smart Hub thinking tbat could maybe help improve my gaming experience but didnt help then i bought a Smart Hub 2 thinking it could help improve my internet connection and provide better management of my internet connection.   Ijust bought an Asus GeForce Now ready router thinking I could use Smart Hub 2 as a modem.   I have spent countless hours in troubleshooting bad online game performance and countless hours asking BT Support for help with issues on my internet connection.    BT refuse to acknowledge there are any issues, since their speed test proves my internet connection is healthy.   These lag issues are costing me money and time.   I am paying to use a broken internet service.

So I found https://www.bufferbloat.net/projects/bloat/wiki/What_can_I_do_about_Bufferbloat/  which explains what buffer bloat is and what causes it and why it is an issue.   It also explains I need a DD-WRT Router to manage settings which will resolve bufferbloat.      Again BTs lack of configurability in Smart Hub is letting us all down, again.

0 Ratings
h3x1e
Aspiring Expert
Message 85 of 274

You'll never get QoS options on any default router from an ISP. None that I know of provide it anyway and probably never will.

This issue is about two specific nodes in BT's network that might be causing issues, and has nothing to do with Sync Speed or Throughput.

0 Ratings
CloudGamer
Contributor
Message 86 of 274

[quote]This issue is about two specific nodes in BT's network that might be causing issues, and has nothing to do with Sync Speed or Throughput.[/quote]

Can you elaborate more?  Explain it like I am 5.     What should I be looking for in traceroute regarding those "specific nodes"?

Buffer bloat is directly related to " throughput" and is cause of lag in games.   Why you say "throughput" is not a problem?

I thought I explained bufferbloat is just one symptom of what is causing lag in games for many BT users, bufferbloat is caused by bigger issue and that is BT are possibly shaping our internet connection and network traffic.

0 Ratings
lolowalsh
Contributor
Message 87 of 274

My friend has a bufferbloat rating of D on Sky and yesterday we were playing with both netflix and twitch and no ping spikes, so it's not a bufferbloat issue. 

I also have a rating of D for bufferbloat and my games are smooth when no one Is using the internet. The issue as @h3x1e described is within some specific nodes in the BT network.

0 Ratings
h3x1e
Aspiring Expert
Message 88 of 274

@CloudGamer  read through the thread it explains whats going on.

As I said, buffer bloat is NOT the issue as I have QoS enabled on my Edge Router and it doesn't fix the problem.

0 Ratings
h3x1e
Aspiring Expert
Message 89 of 274

Just had a drop out and re-sync @ 23Mbps down from 32Mbps 😕 ping issues not fixed.

0 Ratings
h3x1e
Aspiring Expert
Message 90 of 274

Ping issues are actually a hell of a lot worse now. Also seeing packet loss now too.

0 Ratings