Did you mean: 
Highlighted
WhatAmISupposedToDo
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 3

Latency problems

Go to solution

Hello,

we recently switched back to BT from another ISP as we were guaranteed higher broadband speeds at a similiar price, while this has been fullfilled, when multiple devices are using the broadband at once things get a little annoying, to be specific if I was to be playing a game which requires a decent ping, my latency would be great, however once a television is being used around the house I get random spikes of high latency causing multiplayer games to be almost impossible to play, despite this I would be able to watch multiple instances of videos across the household without any loading and etc.

I have spent the past few weeks testing different methods of connection, however I always ultimately use a wired connection, infact the issues get much worse when connected via wifi, I have also tried many other ways of fixing this problem such as disconnecting the router for a few hours, resetting the router amongst messing around with various windows features, and despite all these things I've tried personally it has made very little progress and I have since had to revert any attempts to fix the issue.

In order to display visually what I mean, I did a simple ping command to the BBC to show what I mean by latency spikes.

Ping while one Youtube video is playing

Ping without any videos playing

As you can probably imagine, the latency issue would be much worse if someone was watching a ultra high definition video from netflix or amazon prime video amongst other phone connections and etc.

BT Broadband Plan: BT Infinity
Download Speed: 55.75 Mbps
Upload Speed: 20.00 Mbps

I'd be happy to display any router logs if that would help.

Thanks in advance, 
Joshua.

0 Ratings
2 REPLIES 2
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 3

Re: Latency problems

Go to solution

You would need to use a third party router which supports QOS (Quality Of Service) and bandwidth controls. The BT home hub does not have that facility.

The cheapest router which supports those features, is the TP Link TD-W9970 N300, which costs about £35.

You can give the games console/computer the highest priority (1), that will ensure that it gets the fastest response.

If you want more details on the TP Link, then look on my forumhelp website.

0 Ratings
WhatAmISupposedToDo
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 3

Re: Latency problems

Go to solution
I'll definitely look into it, thanks for taking the time to reply.
0 Ratings