cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ozzler
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 22

Latency spikes while streaming video content - Unusable for gaming.

Hi guys,

It looks like this is a new issue BT users have been having. For the last 2 weeks whenever any for of video content is streamed on my network, I have large latency spikes. This makes gaming online literally unplayable while anyone in the house is watching something. I've had a very frustrating time with BT support because as you can imagine, the speed tests are fine so they don't really care. I've just had a BT engineer out to rule out any form of line fault. My sockets have been replaced and everything tested, so it's not a local issue. I'm luckily out of contract with BT and will be cancelling if this is not resolved. From my perspective it looks like BT have some new form of nasty traffic shaping in place. 

I'm currently using a homehub 5, but have tested one other homehub and a TPlink AC1600 with QoS still with no luck.

Below is an example of ping results with a single 1080p live feed being streamed. I've seen one user had their BT broadband profile changed. I have no idea how to request this with BT but that seems like my last chance before moving providers. Does anyone else have any idea on this?

ping.pngpint-t.png

0 Ratings
21 REPLIES 21
ozzler
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 22

Re: Latency spikes while streaming video content - Unusable for gaming.

Hi Keith,

Thanks for your assitance, but I've already read them all. There isn't a single solution in any of these threads apart from the stable profile change which I mentioned above.

To add to my frustration the engineer onsite today has taken 10mbit of download off my line and the connection is just as unstable as it was before!

It sounds like BT honestly just couldn't give a damn about any form of latency issues even though it's clearly caused by a new protocol they have added to their network. 

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 22

I suspect its simply congestion on the upload path, resulting in buffering within the cabinet equipment. Reducing the download speed will make no difference. All streaming content also uploads data as well, Netflix is the worse offender.

All you can do, if you have the ability, is to restrict the upload speed of any streaming device, to about 10% or less, of the total upload bandwidth, as well as giving it the lowest priority.

I suspect that is not just a BT Retail issue, as it will affect all ISPs who use the Openreach cabinets.

Its unlikely to affect people on normal broadband (ADSL), as the network connectivity is much  better.

0 Ratings
ozzler
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 22

If that's the case, then why when I use my upload to stream on twitch (at 6000KBPS) is my ping unaffected at all? Sorry but that's going to be a lot more upload than any video stream would be sending.

I'm switching to Sky as my ISP so we will put your cabinet theory to the test. I'm 90% sure from reading other threads this is something BT is doing and I'm fairly sure a provider swap is the fix here. 

It wouldn't shock me if they've put me on a profile like this because I'm a high traffic user and they want me to leave.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 22

It not so much as the upload speed, as the amount of data in each packet. For example, Netflix send its upload data as large blocks at regular intervals, which people have shown on their ping graphs and I have seen when doing traffic analysis using Wireshark.

I have not looks at other services apart from the BBC iPlayer, which sends only a small amout of continuous upload data.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 22

I suggest you read this before moving to Sky.

http://www.skyuser.co.uk/forum/tags/latency.html

Or a Google search "latency issues on sky"

0 Ratings
ozzler
Aspiring Contributor
Message 8 of 22

I see one report of issues from 2017 from sky and that was an ADSL user. Everything else is from 2015 or earlier.

You've just linked yourself 7 other users having issues like this in the past few months with BT!

I'll be taking my chances. 

0 Ratings
ozzler
Aspiring Contributor
Message 9 of 22

hmmm having googled too, it does seem like some similar issues. I'm at a loss then. Maybe I should go for a bonded ADSL line. 

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 22

You said you had a TPlink AC1600, that has options to restrict upload bandwidth and priority, based on the device IP address, and is very similar to the TP Link W9970 that I use.

You do have to configure the TPlink AC1600  correctly, and it does take a bit more work than the W9970, but you only need to concentrate on those devices which are doing the streaming, so that they do not take over the upload path. You would be surprised how little upload bandwidth is actually needed.

I am only on a 10Mb down and 1Mbs up ADSL connection, and can stream two Netflix HD channels without any degrading of the picture, so that proves that only a small upload path is needed.

0 Ratings