Stanbury24
Contributor
Message 1 of 30

Latency

Hi all , so I've recently moved In to a new property and had my broadband brought over with me ..1st week of service everything was fine ,i mainly use my broadband for console gaming and everything was fine .

2nd week and still currently,I've had intermittent but fairly regular spikes in ping ..500-600ms ! It can last from 5mins to as much as 20mins It has pretty much put a stop to me gaming ,which in all honesty is a passion of mine. 

I've had several engineers and because they cant find a fault on the line even though when these episodes occur my download can drop from 30 to 2-3 mbps they refuse to do anything saying latency cannot be controlled .

I'm at my wits end now as we didnt gave these problems a few weeks back !! 

Would changing provider be of benefit ?

I dont know what else to do 😞 

Download 30

Upload 6-7 

0 Ratings
29 REPLIES 29
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 30

Re: Latency

@Stanbury24 If its just started, then it could be due to either errors on your broadband connection, or problems on your own local network. Errors cause re-transmissions which in turn introduce latency.

Make sure you are using a direct Ethernet connection, and not wireless, as wireless is subject to interference, and it could be that a neighbour is using the same wireless channel as you.

If you are using Ethernet, and the problem is still there, then you need to look to see if there are problems on your phone line which are causing errors, and do not show up when the line is tested.

Is there any noise on your phone calls? Dial 17070 and select option 2, there should be no noise between the announcements.

0 Ratings
Stanbury24
Contributor
Message 3 of 30

Thank you for replying 

My xbox is wired to the hub (sh-2) bt cannot find a fault on the line and I'm getting no noise on quiet line test .

It's like banging your head against a brick wall ,the episodes of ping are so aggressive and frequent that surely theres more to it than just congestion ?

My broadband is pretty much unusable in its current state . Would changing provider help? As that's becoming an option .

0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 30

@Stanbury24 wrote:

My broadband is pretty much unusable in its current state . Would changing provider help? As that's becoming an option .

Its unlikely, and you would face a large cancellation charge as well, as its a new connection.

Are you the only one using your connection when you get the problem?

0 Ratings
Stanbury24
Contributor
Message 5 of 30

Yes I'm the only one 

Don't think bt understand the severity of it as it's not only my ping spiking it's my dl dropping off and also it stays like it for anything up to 20 mins (avg 10)

My service is pretty much worthless now as this is so frequent that it's pointless me gaming on this connection .

Which was fine when first connected .

Screenshot_20190905-071938_Gallery.jpg

0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 30

Please can you provide the connection information as requested on this link?

https://community.bt.com/t5/Announcements-Guides-Community/Broadband-Top-Tips-to-get-help-on-the-for...

That will give people a better idea of what is going on.

If there is nothing obvious, then a moderator can be asked to look at the performance counters at the BT end, to see if there is an error problem.

Just in case its an issue with the home hub.

Try the usual fixes for the home hub, in this order.

factory reset the home hub.

http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/11386/%7E/how-do-i-reset-my-bt-hub-to-its-factory-set...

Then turn Smart Setup off.

http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/44328/~/switching-smart-setup-on-and-off-on-the-bt-ho...

0 Ratings
Stanbury24
Contributor
Message 7 of 30

Really appreciate your help .

I've tried 2x hubs and both have issue .

I'm currently at work but will post all relevant details this afternoon .

Many thanks 

Paul.

0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 30

@Stanbury24 wrote:

Really appreciate your help .

I've tried 2x hubs and both have issue .

I'm currently at work but will post all relevant details this afternoon .

Many thanks 

Paul.

I wonder what sort of speed you are expecting at your new address?

If you get a moment, please can you post the results from this website, but remove your phone number before posting. You can do this from anywhere.

https://www.dslchecker.bt.com/

0 Ratings
Stanbury24
Contributor
Message 9 of 30

Sorry for asking but how do I share this without phone number ? On my mobile if i try sharing picture file size is too big and compressed file is unreadable ? 

0 Ratings
Stanbury24
Contributor
Message 10 of 30

20190905_100715_1.jpg

0 Ratings