cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Message 1 of 8

Latest BT smart Hub not connecting to apple TV via switch

Hello,

hope you can help and apologies that I am not very technical.

We just had a new BT hub installed running off fibre to home  broadband. We have the hub then connected via a CAT6 cable to a switch (as hub doesn't have sufficient ports and is in wrong place). From the switch we have another CAT 6 cable running through our house to a socket in wall to which we have then connected Apple TV 4K via another CAT 6 lead.

When connected like this the Apple TV cannot connect to the internet. I've spoken to apple and BT and I understand the issue is that the BT hub isn't giving the right permission through the switch for the apple TV to work and I've been told by apple that  i need to get the hub to 'recognise the switch' as part of the network. When I spoke to BT they said this was a 'port forwarding' problem. I've tried going onto the advanced settings of the HUB to set up a port forwarding rule to the IP address of the apple TV using port 80 and a TCP connection. Still doesn't work. - I'm not sure if I've got the wrong port number as I haven't been able to understand how to find this out or if it needs to be TCP or UDP - I don't understand the difference! I also don't know how to recognise the switch IP address (or whatever needed!) if I need to make a change to permission for that - or what port number or type it would need to be.

Please help - in non technical language - am really stuck!? with kids at home I really need the apple TV to work!

Note - if I remove the switch from the system and plug home CAT 6 network cable direct into Hub it all works but that won't work long term, I need the ethernet connections to run through the switch to apple TV. I can also get the apple TV to work via wifi but again is not a long term solution due to wifi signal issues.

Thanks!

Desperate self isolating mum! Sarah

0 Ratings
7 REPLIES 7
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 8

Re: Latest BT smart Hub not connecting to apple TV via switch

@slr_32 

What model of Ethernet switch are you using, because if Apple TV uses multicast, then not all Ethernet switches are suitable? The TP-Link SG105 has this ability.

I found this via Google.

Apple TV will be able to stream content from the Internet to a connected display without multicast enabled. ... AppleTV uses multicast INTERNALLY on your network and needs specific multicast support to work because it does streaming between devices... like to an iPhone.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 3 of 8

I have no idea about the switch but will check it out. Thank you.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 4 of 8

Just checked switch - it does have multicast optimisation.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 8

@slr_32 wrote:

Just checked switch - it does have multicast optimisation.

What make and model is it, does it have IGMP snooping?

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 6 of 8

It is a 8-port gigabit desktop switch made by tp-link. TL-SG108S

yes it has IGMP snooping

Mac address learning

auto negotiation ports

auto MDI/MDIX ports

fanless design

802.1p/DSCP QoS

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 8

Then I do not know why its not working.

Have you disabled Smart Setup on the home hub, as that can cause issues.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 8 of 8

Thank you, will try the smart setting thing. 

0 Ratings