Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 1 of 18

League of legends lag spike

Go to solution

Hi, im currently using tp ling av1200 passthrough powerline adaptor and i keep getting lag spikes, usually its at 17ms but then ramdomly shoots up to 500-600 and sometimes 1200ms. It was fine when i was using bt infinity 2 and home hub 3 but ive recently upgraded to bt infinity 3 and home hub 4 (been a few weeks now).

Please help as it happens at least once per game but most of the time more, i dont see it happen in other games. 

Thanks in advance.

0 Ratings
17 REPLIES 17
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 18

Re: League of legends lag spike

Go to solution

Welcome to this user forum.

Please see the information on this link, which specifically applies to TP Link adapters.

Interference to broadband caused by powerline adapters or broadband extenders

Can you please turn them both off, and connect your computer/console, direct to the Ethernet port on the home hub, and see if the problem stops?

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 3 of 18

Go to solution

When you say turn them both off do you mean the adaptors? and sadly i cant connect directly to ethernet due to distance. The thing is it use to be fine up until i upgraded my internet and home hub. Also the link you provided said to reset and re-pair them, i have tried that already and still no joy.

If it helps sometimes i have a stream on my other monitor at same time and nothing happens to the stream it continues to run fine even though being live. I only have it on sometimes it also occurs when its off.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 18

Go to solution

The only way to prove the problem is by elimination, even if it means temporarily running a long Ethernet cable.

What did you mean by Infinity 3, are you on a direct fibre link with an Openreach ONT, like this installation?

FTTP installation

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 5 of 18

Go to solution

Yeah it looks like that. We had infinity two with a home hub 3 router now we have infinity 3 with home hub 4 router. its started since ive upgraded and never happened before.

I will try to get a long ethernet as i dont have one as of yet.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 18

Go to solution

@cyanide_snow wrote:

Yeah it looks like that. We had infinity two with a home hub 3 router now we have infinity 3 with home hub 4 router. its started since ive upgraded and never happened before.

I will try to get a long ethernet as i dont have one as of yet.

Then the powerline adapters should not interfere with the broadband, but they could be causing the problems you describe,

Also, any other connections running at the same time could affect it.

Have you tried reconnecting the home hub 3, as that will work just as well as the HH4, and may cure the problem?

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 7 of 18

Go to solution

This is the only powerline connection in the house. There is another pc connected to the room next door but thats via wifi.

The reason we upgraded hub was because we were getting around 100mb from old hub and this one gives us around 150mb.

Sadly we cant use old hub as it was sent to be recycled back to BT. There is an option in tp link utility its "lower PLC to VDSL interference mode" do you think this might help? I'm just confused why its started to happen since the upgrade unless like the link you sent earlier the higher the speed the more interference.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 18

Go to solution

Powerline interference only affects VDSL (FTTC) not FTTP, so that is not the cause.

I think you will have to wait until you can try an Ethernet cable, to prove whether its a problem with the adapters.

Does the problem still occur when the other computer, connected by wifi, is turned off?

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 9 of 18

Go to solution

Yeah thats probably best case i guess.

It happens during the day while general most electronics in house are on and late at night when everything is essentially off. From what I can tell there is no correlation to other electronics being on or off.

another note to add if ive attatched the ethernet into the gigabit port on modem not sure if that would be an issue thou.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 18

Go to solution

The connection from the Openreach ONT, must go into the red WAN port on the home hub 4, and not any other port.

0 Ratings