cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
MyUsername2020
Beginner
Message 1 of 7

Limit bandwidth on Hub 6 and reset router

I believe I have a BT Hub 6. Whenever we use Netflix the bandwidth comes to a halt, anyone using the internet comes to a grinding halt or at least it runs at a snails pace.

How could I limit the bandwidth on this router so if a particular device connects it won't use up all the bandwidth? I was able to do this with my previous provider but don't see the option here.

I also decided to factory reset my router.... To me factory reset would mean all settings are erased.

To my surprise after a factory reset all devices could still connect to the internet? I did this twice one via the option for on the router home page (192.168.1.254) and then holding the reset button on the back of the router for around 20 seconds. An I doing something wrong?

0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
Anonymous
Not applicable
Message 2 of 7

Re: Limit bandwidth on Hub 6 and reset router

The SSID and wireless password return to default upon a factory reset, therefore if you're using the defaults then your devices will be able to reconnect.

For example, change the SSID and set one of your devices to connect to it, then do a factory reset and see which device is unable to connect

0 Ratings
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 7

You cannot allocate bandwidth to specific devices using the hub.  You would need to purchase a 3rd party router to achieve that

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
MyUsername2020
Beginner
Message 4 of 7

When I reset the hub I have different settings than the default hub settings. Once reset all users can connect to the hub again without needing add the network again.

Example: 

I change the SSID from Xxx to Test.

All users will now connect using Test and the password I set for the wireless.

After I reset the router, I see Hub-6 in the list of available wireless connection points but I also see Test. I can connect to both using the password for each. It's almost like having 2 wireless points. I don't have 2ghz or 5ghz separate either.

I'm so surprised that BT do not offer some way to control bandwidth in this day and age and especially paying a pretty heavy price for this junk equipment.

0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 7

@MyUsername2020 wrote:

I'm so surprised that BT do not offer some way to control bandwidth in this day and age and especially paying a pretty heavy price for this junk equipment.

As @imjolly  has said, you can do it with your own router.  A suitable router costs about £35 and has the bandwidth controls you need.

https://www.tp-link.com/uk/home-networking/dsl-modem-router/td-w9970/

BT Home Hubs are quite basic, so they are very easy for BT to support, as a factory reset takes everything back to a known state.

BT allow you to use your own equipment, but cannot provide technical support. That would come via this forum.

0 Ratings
MyUsername2020
Beginner
Message 6 of 7

I have an old router I used with my previous provider which I will take out and test. Do you know the standard settings that I would require? Looking at the current router it has a username but I didn't see any password so not entirely sure how I would be authenticated?

As for the BT router, I'm not having a dig at you but the way I see it is, I'm paying for a service which doesn't come with the right tools to meet my requirements and BT have the privilege to have me in contract most likely paying for this router.

0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 7

@MyUsername2020 

The password is BT,  all BT  home hubs use the same default authentication settings.

If your other router has the features you require, and you can change the login details, and is also compatible with a VDSL connection, then by all means try it.

Lots of people on this forum use their own compatible routers, but if you have BT TV, then not all of them support it.

0 Ratings