Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
StuartTheFish
Contributor
Message 21 of 61

Re: Link BT Home Hub 3a and 3b together

Go to solution
In theory this should also be able to work with one of those hub2's that were modified for infinity. I'll give it a go when I get chance.
0 Ratings
brummygit
Aspiring Expert
Message 22 of 61

Go to solution

Hi John46

Unfortunately Keith's link does not answer all of the questions - hence they were asked in the thread.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 23 of 61

Go to solution

It was DS who wrote the instructions. I reproduced them on my website with his permission, to stop them getting lost on the forum.

He is the one who has done all the experimentation with the HH3s.

0 Ratings
brummygit
Aspiring Expert
Message 24 of 61

Go to solution

Hi Keith

That's great - I very much appreciate the hard work you've done and was kind of hoping that DS would be along to answer any queries.

I have quite a lot of IT background and understand what is going on. My main question is around roaming between the WiFi on the 2 hubs.

In a switched network environment the MAC address of the connecting device is cached and traffic for it is only distributed to its switch port. When you move a device (eg from primary WiFi to slave WiFi) the traffic arrives back at the primary router on an ethernet port instead of the WiFi. When I roam back to the primary WiFi the hub has my mac address cached as being located on an ethernet port and therefore my traffic is not switched correctly until the cache decays (a few minutes or a hub reboot).

What puzzles me is how other people have managed to overcome this issue as your information reports that roaming works on both older home hubs and also the version 3s. I wonder if this is that people only tested roaming out to the slave and not switching back, or there is something I missed to overcome the mac layer switching in the HH switch.

Thanks again for your hard work.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 25 of 61

Go to solution

Your explanation is a very clear one, and is exactly the issue that affects the HH3. I mention this in my other document about using additional access points with the HH3, which is why I suggest using a Universal Repeater, which does have a slight disadvantage regarding throughput, but does not suffer from the "roaming" issue.

0 Ratings
John55810uk
Contributor
Message 26 of 61

Go to solution

I just found this thread and it would seem to be the solution to my situation, but I am unclear as to which ports should be used to connect the two hub together.

To me the logical thing would be to use port 4 (the GigE one) on the main hub and the Red BT Infinity port on the secondary hub.

Can anyone confirm this or post the correct connections to use.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 27 of 61

Go to solution
The infinity port is a WAN port not an Ethernet one
0 Ratings
brummygit
Aspiring Expert
Message 28 of 61

Go to solution

Just use any ethernet port on each switch.

0 Ratings
John55810uk
Contributor
Message 29 of 61

Go to solution

But isn't a WAN port just another name for an Uplink port and if so surely it should be useable on the secondary hub as such leaving the 4 lan ports available for use by other devices (pc's, smart tv etc).

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 30 of 61

Go to solution
No, the WAN port is on the wrong side of the fiirewall and. NAT.
0 Ratings