Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
John55810uk
Contributor
Message 31 of 61

Re: Link BT Home Hub 3a and 3b together

Go to solution

@ Keith  Surely  that wouldn't matter as the WAN port being used is on the secondary hub and would be connected back to the primary hub and therefore use all the functions of that (as any LAN connection does).

Just to clarify my thoughts on the configuration.

Line to premises connected to Openreach modem (thro master socket)

.....Modem output connects to red WAN port on primary hub

.....3 LAN connections using ports 1-3

.....port 4 (the GigE port) connected by Cat5 connection to WAN port on secondary hub

.....leaving all 4 LAN ports on secondary hub available for normal use.

Bonus feature is that WiFi coverage should be extended to cover existing dead spots

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 32 of 61

Go to solution

There is no direct path between the WAN port and LAN port, as there is a firewall between the two.

The WAN side accepts Internet routable adresses e.g. 80.130.233.156, which would be your public facing IP address.

It will not accept local LAN addresses.

This is translated to a range of addresses in the 192.168.1.xxxx subnet, by the NAT (Network Address Translation) function of the home hub software.

If you need more ports on the secondary hub, then a cheap Ethernet switch is the answer.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 33 of 61

Go to solution

@brummygit wrote:

Thank you for posting this guide - it seems to be exactly what I'm after as I have 2 HH3s (1 type A and 1 type B) at home and suffer from poor reception on one side of my house where I happen to have an ethernet cable available.

Can you help me with a few questions to make my tests a little easier....

1. I have previous tried this with a different brand AP as secondary, and whilst I can roam from HH3 (Primary) to secondary AP instantly, I have never managed to get seamless roaming back to primary working. Does the use of 2 home hubs solve this? When I had this set up, it worked fine for me. I've only tried using a type a as the primary.
  2. I obtained a type B when my type A suffered terrible WiFi connection issues with a few devices in my home - kindle, Android and 1 PC. These seemed to be compounded by the loss of DHCP renewals quite frequently on some devices. Have you seen any of these issues using the type A as primary? I've had many issues with these hubs. If you've set the DHCP to the max of 21 days and it's still renewing, then the device is losing the connection to the hub or the hub is dropping the device....
  3. Is there any reason that I shouldn't keep my type B as primary and use type A as secondary? Never tried it this way.
  4. Have you tried using the same SSID for both hubs to give a seamless roam between APs? Never had to as I've never had a problem returning to the primary

Thanks for any advice you can offer.

If you've followed the instructions as per this thread or the link that Keith has kindly posted, as the method Keith hosts is the latest one, then it should work exactly as mine did. If not then the only thing that possibly could be a problem is if the firmware versions on the hubs you're trying differ to mine.

Steve

-+-No longer a forum member-+-
0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 34 of 61

Go to solution

@brummygit wrote:

I've been tinkering this evening, albeit with my HH3 type B as primary and HH3 type A as secondary and it works to a point but I hit an expected issue.

I can roam from primary wifi to secondary wifi but if I try to return it then fails.

Is this a known issue or because I'm using the A and B units reversed (I can't see why this would be however)?

As per my previous reply, I've never tried using a type B as a primary. I guess I could try this but atm I'm letting my type A clock up as much uninterrupted time online as possible.

-+-No longer a forum member-+-
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 35 of 61

Go to solution

I think that using a type B as the primary, introduces the MAC routing "feature" of the HH3 version B.

It can only switch traffic to either the LAN side or wireless side, and not both. So once is sees a MAC address on its LAN side (other HH3), it will not allow it to connect to the wireless side of the HH3.

This is a known "feature" and is simply te way that the internal Ethernet switching works.

Once you reset the HH3, the internal switch is reset,

It happens with all access points, when connected to the HH3B.

0 Ratings
brummygit
Aspiring Expert
Message 36 of 61

Go to solution
Thank you for replying.

I have taken the plunge and ordered a new router with dual band radios as I need to solve a number of topics anyway.

Before I shutdown my Home Hub WiFi I will swap the type A and B units around to see if it makes any difference to my problems. It may help someone else in future.
0 Ratings
StuartTheFish
Contributor
Message 37 of 61

Go to solution
Just thought I'd add that I just tried with a hub2 and this works with that too. Saves people having to buy a separate hub3 when the majority of people will have a spare hub2 knocking about already.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 38 of 61

Go to solution

@StuartTheFish wrote:
Just thought I'd add that I just tried with a hub2 and this works with that too. Saves people having to buy a separate hub3 when the majority of people will have a spare hub2 knocking about already.

Instructions are here.

Use your old spare BT Home Hub as a wired Ethernet switch and WAP!

0 Ratings
StuartTheFish
Contributor
Message 39 of 61

Go to solution
I wasn't aware you'd already amended them, no worries. Just confirming it works then like I assumed it would. 🙂
0 Ratings
paulpjjones
Beginner
Message 40 of 61

Go to solution
Hi, after using this method to connect 2 hh3 my primary hub will not let me connect to it wireless. Can you give me any help please.
Thanks Paul.
0 Ratings