Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 41 of 61

Re: Link BT Home Hub 3a and 3b together

Go to solution

Are you sure that you are using the version A as primary, and the B as secondary?

0 Ratings
kenmcmahon
Message 42 of 61

Go to solution

Thanks for the really helpful info here. I've tried this with a HH3A and HH3B exactly as described, but once a device connects wirelessly to the HH3A it will no longer connect to the HH3B. This happens whichever round way I do it. Whether the 3A is the primary or secondary and it's always the B that's the problem, I can't connect wirelessly to it once I've been connected to the A.

I've got a HH2 which I think I might use to replace the HH3B (I've lost the power supply so I'll have to buy a new one). Unless anyone has an idea what the problem might be?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 43 of 61

Go to solution

Hi kenmcmahon and welcome

Things may changed since I first posted this....:|

If this is the case, then it could be down to the firmware updates that both types of the hub 3 have received.

I had no issues with a type a as the primary and a type a or b as a secondary. I've reverted back to just one hub, but plan to use 2 again in the future. The only problem now is that I've handed my type b back to BT:(

The most obvious thing is to make sure you're out of range of first hub to get a connection to the second hub if you're connecting to each automatically.

Another thing to try is to give the secondary hub a different wireless key so your device(s) can only connect to one or the other using a different key (try setting your device so each hub can only be connected to manually to test and then try automatically).

-+-No longer a forum member-+-
kenmcmahon
Message 44 of 61

Go to solution

Hi Ds,

Thanks for the prompt response.

I'll give your suggestions a try. I think you're probably right and there has been a firmware update. I'm attempting to connect to the hubs using a macbook pro and  get a connection timeout when attempting to connect to hub B. The only way to get it to connect appears to be to reset the Hub B and connect to it BEFORE connecting to the Hub A. If I then disconnect from B, connect to A, disconnect from A and attempt a reconnect to B, no luck. Before we had Infinity I was using the A with a HH1 with no problems. I suppose I could go back to that as, AFAIK, I don't have any 802.11g devices on the network. For the future though, it would be nice to get the 2 HH3's working together if it can be done. Also if there has been a firmware update that now makes this unworkable it might help people to know.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 45 of 61

Go to solution

@kenmcmahon wrote:

Hi Ds,

Thanks for the prompt response.

I'll give your suggestions a try. I think you're probably right and there has been a firmware update. I'm attempting to connect to the hubs using a macbook pro and  get a connection timeout when attempting to connect to hub B. The only way to get it to connect appears to be to reset the Hub B and connect to it BEFORE connecting to the Hub A. If I then disconnect from B, connect to A, disconnect from A and attempt a reconnect to B, no luck. Before we had Infinity I was using the A with a HH1 with no problems. I suppose I could go back to that as, AFAIK, I don't have any 802.11g devices on the network. For the future though, it would be nice to get the 2 HH3's working together if it can be done. Also if there has been a firmware update that now makes this unworkable it might help people to know.

Hmm, during the set up process for the secondary hub (type b) I used a windows based laptop and not a mac...:|

When you say reset, what do you actually do? The secondary hub type b shouldn't be reset after making the changes to it. It can however be turned off as much as you like.

Mine worked fine with the type A as the primary and the type B as the secondary

kenmcmahon
Message 46 of 61

Go to solution
Sorry DS, I meant restart, not reset.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 47 of 61

Go to solution

Ok, no problem;)

TinTinLondon
Beginner
Message 48 of 61

Go to solution

Hi there,

I am a newbiz in this forum.  I find that this forum very helpful especially the information given by DS and Kieth. 

I have recently bought a new Home Hub 4 and I want to connect to my old Home Hub 3.  Home Hub 4 is master and Home Hub 3 is slave.  I have followed the instructions in this thread and set up my slave Home Hub 3.  I do not change any settings on my Home Hub 4.  The result is the slave Home Hub 3 only will work when I connect directly to the enthernet port of Home Hub 4.  It does not work when I connect the slave Home Hub 3 to my powerline plug in the other room.  The devices connect to the slave Home Hub 3 timing out.  I wonder anyone can help me.

Eric.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 49 of 61

Go to solution

Hi Eric and welcome to the forums.

I'll take a look when I can, but are you sure the powerline adapters are not going in to sleep mode when the spare hub isn't being used?

As a test, what happens if you set it up, connect a laptop/PC via ethernet to the slave hub, does it then work?

TinTinLondon
Beginner
Message 50 of 61

Go to solution

Hi DS,

Thank you very much for your reply.  The powerline adaptor is not in sleep mode and all the lights are on.  I have connected my PC (no wifi) via ethernet to the slave hub and connected the other ethernet port of the slave hub to the powerline adaptor.  I can confirm this configuration works.  Only via Wifi does not work.

Many thanks,

Eric.

0 Ratings