cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
davey_b
Beginner
Message 1 of 16

Linksys WFT54G

I'm trying to replace my Home Hub with a Linksys WRT54G running DD-WRT that I had lying about so I can use openDNS. I tried setting it up last night but for the life of me I can't get it connected to the Internet.  

Can someone confirm what the settings should be for such a router?

Thanks

Dave

0 Ratings
15 REPLIES 15
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 16

Re: Linksys WFT54G

I am assuming its Infinity you are using as its only a router.

Infinity uses PPPoE. (Point To Point Protocol Over Ethernet)

If you use a different router with Infinity, then you need to make sure that the authentication is set to PPPoE.
You can use a user name of broadbanduser@btbroadband.com and a password of bt

MTU Size: no 1492

0 Ratings
davey_b
Beginner
Message 3 of 16

Sorry we're out in the sticks and it's just BB over the normal phone line, not infiity.  

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 16

The Linksys WRT54G is not an ADSL modem, only a router, so you cannot use it on an ADSL line.

0 Ratings
davey_b
Beginner
Message 5 of 16

Strange....  It allows me to select things like PPPoE and put in username/password etc... 

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 16

@davey_b wrote:

Strange....  It allows me to select things like PPPoE and put in username/password etc... 

Its PPPoA for ADSL, and the device would not have an input connection for the phone line via the microfilter, so I cannot see how you could connect it anyway.

0 Ratings
Moderator-Retired
Message 7 of 16

You'd need to buy an additional ADSL modem in order to use the WRT54G on your line. Keith, it works the exact same way as Infinity with two separate units i.e. the router manages all the PPP connectivity and internal routing, and the modem syncs with the exchange.

Dean
BTCare Community Mod

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side of the post.

If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
davey_b
Beginner
Message 8 of 16

Apologies, it's the linksys wrg54g:  http://homesupport.cisco.com/en-eu/support/routers/WRT54G

Type by me int he title

0 Ratings
davey_b
Beginner
Message 9 of 16

"You'd need to buy an additional ADSL modem in order to use the WRT54G on your line"

Why do you need an additional ADSL modem when I've used this as the modem with other ISP's?

0 Ratings
Guru
Message 10 of 16

@davey_b wrote:

"You'd need to buy an additional ADSL modem in order to use the WRT54G on your line"

Why do you need an additional ADSL modem when I've used this as the modem with other ISP's?

Was it talk talk by any chance they provide broadband by LLU not ADSL.

According to the Internet your router is PPPoE, though I couldn't find a manual anywhere and this was just off basic research.

If this helped you please click the Star beside my name.

If this answered your question please click "Mark as Accepted Solution" below.
0 Ratings