Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
bratman91
Aspiring Expert
Message 1 of 3

Local network not accessible with BT 11AC Dual Band N1200 WiFi Range Extender

My home network uses a BT Home Hub 5 router and all the devices on the network are accessible one from another. However, when I added a BT 11AC Dual Band N1200 WiFi Range Extender to get better speeds to a computer in a garden office, that computer is inaccessible across the network. The extender, as far as I can see, retransmits the wifi to and from the Home Hub but adds the prefix “EXT” to the SSIDs.  Even using the same EXT-SSID for all my devices does not allow access to the computer; it cannot even be “pinged”.  Is there any way that either the Home Hub or extender can be set up so that the  extender does not act as a stop to, for example, file sharing across the network?

0 Ratings
2 REPLIES 2
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 3

Re: Local network not accessible with BT 11AC Dual Band N1200 WiFi Range Extender

The extender is probably masking the MAC address of devices connected to it, as it has two parts, a receiver and a transmitter with their own MAC addresses.

I would not even consider using a wireless extender, as they are a poor solution to increasing wireless range.

You would be much better running an Ethernet cable and connecting it to a wireless access point like the TP Link TL-WA801ND.

0 Ratings
bratman91
Aspiring Expert
Message 3 of 3

Re: Local network not accessible with BT 11AC Dual Band N1200 WiFi Range Extender

Thank you for your prompt response. I have a spare TP-Link wifi router that I am sure can be consigured to act as an access point so I will try that. Once agin, thanks for your advice.

0 Ratings