cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
NewForestMan
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 6

Locating Wi-fi interference

I’ve been having intermittent broadband issues (slow speed and/or getting “stuck”, especially when streaming TV from catchup services or Amazon Prime / Netflix) for over a year.  Some days are good, but most days have several episodes of the problem - sometimes so frequently that streaming is unusable and I resort to switching Wi-fi off on my iPad & iPhone.  When it’s working, I get about 15Mbits download speed.  When it’s not, it’s less than 1Mbits with high (1500ms) ping and (700ms) jitter, or the speedtest fails altogether.  The Homehub always shows “blue” (or would do if I hadn’t configured no lights for “normal”!).  Whenever an engineer comes (I’ve had at least 5 visits), they find no fault and read around 16-18 Mbits.  BT have tried various solutions - power line Wi-fi extenders, upgrading to HH6 with a Disc repeater connected to the BT Youview box.  Changing what channel the HH is on.  None of this has solved the problem.  They tell me it must be “interference” to the Wi-fi signal.

So, my question is:  how do I locate a source of “interference”?  Do BT (or anyone else) offer a service to investigate this (at a reasonable cost)?

I’m so p’d off with it, I would love to switch supplier - but if it’s interference that won’t help, and if it’s not, it will be the same piece of copper wire from my house to the street cabinet.  I can’t switch to fibre as we don’t have it in my village (Ashurst, Southampton).

Can anyone help?

i should add, in case it’s relevant, that I have a lot of devices using the HH as a router - Samsung TV, BT Youview box, 2 iPads, 2 iPhones, 2 HomePod speakers, Wi-fi roller blind, Wi-fi smoke / CO detector (Nest), 6 x Wi-fi light bulbs, HP printer.  I also have a lot of Bluetooth devices!

0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable
Message 2 of 6

Re: Locating Wi-fi interference

You chose a subject line of Wi-Fi interference but then mentioned your BT Youview box which isn't a Wi-Fi device so it sounds like your problem is with your broadband speed not your Wi-Fi speed ?

0 Ratings
NewForestMan
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 6

Thanks v_meldrew.  You’re correct about the YouView box being an Ethernet cable connection - and that I have a broadband problem - which affects all my Wi-fi devices, as well as the YouView.    The point of my post is that BT keep telling me my problem is probably Wi-fi interference, so I’m trying to find a way to “detect” it. 
ps. Is the BT Disc (to which the YouView is cable connected) linked to the Homehub by Wi-fi or is it a kind of power line link?

0 Ratings
Anonymous
Not applicable
Message 4 of 6

To answer your last question first, the disc is a wi-fi device.

If you've not already done so, turn off Smart Setup - it's a very well known pain.

If you're still having problems (after turning off Smart Setup) post the stats from your Smarthub (Advanced Settings/Technical log information) then head over to https://www.btwholesale.com/includes/adsl/main.html and enter your phone number then post the results (delete your telephone number before posting but leave the exchange and cabinet info.  

0 Ratings
NewForestMan
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 6

Sorry v_meldrew, I get a 404 page not found error with that URL
0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 6