Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Willz
Beginner
Message 1 of 8

Loop of identifying, connected, you are not currently connected to any networks

We had a strange problem where a Windows 8 machine was constantly going on and off line in a repetitive loop after the upgrade to BTInfinity and installation of a BT Home Hub 5.  How we seemed to solved the problem is below in hope that it might prevent anyone else spending a few hours puzzling it out.

(The network driver is a standard Realtek family controller)

Problem

Web pages would be available - then the connection would be lost - a minite later available again.

Via the Control Panel / Network and Sharing Centre, under "view you active networks" it was stuck in a loop of -

" Identifying " then " Private network " then it drops out again to " You are not currently connected to any networks "

When viewing "Network connections" page it reported " Identifying " then " Network 2 " then " the network cable is unplugged "

The troubleshooting was not really any help - for the moments it was connected it would report there were no problems and then when disconnected it would report  "Windows could not automatically detect this networks proxy settings"

Solution(?)

How we think we have solved this is

1 - Open Device Manager (search for "Device Manager") - using windows 8 search, slowy scroll from top right hand corner of screen.

2 - Expand Network Adapters

3 - Right click on the Network Adapter and select Properties

4 - Click on the Advanced tab

5 - Selet Speed and Duplex

6 - Change from Auto Negotiation to 10Mbps Half Duplex

(I read somewhere that with a similar problem someone had turned the energy efficient ethernet setting to Off too)

I'm not sure why this appears to have solved the problem.  Another Windows 8 machine set to Auto Negotaiation worked fine, so it must be something compatibility wise between a network card and the BTHomeHub 5 - something that wasn't a problem with the standard BT Broadband.

So - I can't guarantee that this will work for anyone else experiencing similar problems but it could be worth a try!

7 REPLIES 7
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 8

Re: Loop of identifying, connected, you are not currently connected to any networks

A bit pointless having Infinity if you are going to restrict your LAN speed to 10Mbps. You could at least set it to 100Mbps and see if that works OK.

Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 8

Re: Loop of identifying, connected, you are not currently connected to any networks

Locking it to 100mb full duplex should also work, unless you have a very long Ethernet cable from the home hub to the computer, then 10mb full duplex should work. Half duplex would not be an option I would select.

If you do large file transfers, then selecting 10mb, is going to make things run very slow.

Auto negotiation can sometimes fail due to incompatibility between devices, especially when you are dealing with Gigabit ports, and the very short link pulse.

Willz
Beginner
Message 4 of 8

Thanks - we did initially set it to 100 Full duplex but the problem remained the same - so I was just happy when something worked!  Will try it on full duplex though next time!

0 Ratings
blinkinlight
Contributor
Message 5 of 8

It sounds strange to have to resort to such a slow speed.

Are you using a decent networking cable? and even if you are it might be worth swapping over with one you know works.

If you have been around computers as long as me it's all to easy to ignore the obvious - I wired the home about 10 years ago so that all the main rooms were served with CAT cables - however all this became unravelled when I put a new switch in - and now to get GBit LAN I have had to resort to running some shiny new CAT6 under the carpets. The old cables I put in just arent up to the job (I suspect they pick up too much noise causing packet drops at the switch).

So untill the next house rewire... it's under the edge of the carpet round the skirting they go.

Willz
Beginner
Message 6 of 8

Thanks - that's an interesting thought!  on another Windows 8 PC, and a Windows Vista PC the same cable worked fine, but it is an old cable so it wouldn't hurt to try replacing that - at least to get it to 100 🙂 

Thanks for the tips - all much appreciated.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 8

Might be worth checking you have up to date drivers for the network adaptor. Check with the manufacturer's site not Windows.

Willz
Beginner
Message 8 of 8

Thanks - Licquorice - we did try rolling the driver back, and then going forward again but that was using one from windows rather than the manufacturer's site!  Something else to try 🙂

0 Ratings