Aspiring Contributor
Message 11 of 19

Re: Losing connectivity via TP link ethenet switch

OK   Thanks for your reply

0 Ratings
Recognised Expert
Message 12 of 19

I use an Asus router & the problem you talk about not seeing devices - I assume under Network - is one I frequently experience.

I've tried various "fixes" but in the end I just added the devices in my network, which includes 3 NAS units , as Quick Access - ie "Pin to Quick Access".

0 Ratings
Aspiring Contributor
Message 13 of 19

Tim, Thanks for the info. If it's not a stupid question, how do I permanently "add devices" to Network? I can successfully "Map Network Drive", and add a single device (\\192.168.0.x), but this does not remain after a re-boot, and only appears to allow one device (The first device is no longer displayed when I add the second device)
0 Ratings
Recognised Expert
Message 14 of 19

@Daveiw100 

There are rarely stupid questions.

I don't think you can add devices to Network as that's down to Windows to discover them.

As for mapping drives, I regularly map a specific folder on my devices, as in right click the folder & select Map network drive & for it to be permanent tick the box "Reconnect at sign-in". Job done. That folder can be a high level one like "Public" for example. I don't use ip addresses btw.

As I've said I've also added the devices , once I can see them , to Quick Access.

Hope that helps.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 15 of 19

There is of course a simple reason why you cannot see other devices, your network connection has been set to Public and not Private.

Windows will prompt you when you first add a new wireless or LAN connection, and you are given the choice of a Public or Private connection. If you have accidentally chosen Public, then I think network discovery is turned off by default.

0 Ratings
Aspiring Contributor
Message 16 of 19

Windows Discovery is ON for Private and Public network I cannot Add Device, as the devices are not found under Control Panel / Hardware and Sound / Devices and Printers / Add Device Also Widows 7 does not have Quick Access
0 Ratings
Recognised Expert
Message 17 of 19

@Daveiw100 

I didn't notice that you were on Windows 7 so obviously Quick Access is not an option.

Mapping as I've suggested should work OK though as I don't think that process changed from 7 to 10 that I'm on.

Not seeing devices under Network  seems to me to be more of an issue in 10 than in 7 from what I can remember, although for today for me they're all there but tomorrow who knows!

For my networked devices I always set the ip address within the device and then add it as manual/pre-assigned within the router. Where you do that in an HH I don't know.

There was an issue with Synology devices not being seen properly because of SMB3 and that support needed to be disabled in Windows, not sure if this was a Synology issue or Windows but I've added commands for that if that helps:-

sc.exe config lanmanworkstation depend= bowser/mrxsmb10/nsi
sc.exe config mrxsmb20 start= disabled

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 18 of 19

Drive mapping on Windows 7, dues not usually automatically reconnect on a restart, that is my experience. I have two machines, my main one on Windows 7 Pro, and another on Windows 10 Pro.

One workaround is to use the subst command and assign a drive letter, to a physical path, but that has to be done in a startup batch file, but works every time.

I use a TP Link router and also give all devices fixed IP addresses.

0 Ratings
Aspiring Contributor
Message 19 of 19

Mapping network drive is not the problem. I can successfully map network drives on Synology NAS boxes in Windows 7, and select Reconnect at Logon. The mapped network drives then are successfully displayed after a Windows re-boot. What I need is the network attached devices (Synology NAS and HP printer) to be displayed under Network in Windows file browser
0 Ratings