cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 9

Losing wi-fi connection and icon

I've been having a problem with my desktop computer since yesterday following a couple of short power cuts.   When the power came back, the wi-fi connection had vanished,  as had the wi-fi icon.  I went through some troubleshooting options - my router (BT Home Hub 5) didn't show up on any of the available network options.

I eventually turned it (the hub) off and on again - success.  However, it keeps doing the same thing every couple of hours or so.  The laptop and iPad are fine - not affected.

Does anyone have any idea what may be going on?   

Many thanks!

0 Ratings
8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9

Re: Losing wi-fi connection and icon

Still a problem if any one can help...?

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 9

Hi @Kayell,

Hopefully your power cuts haven't damaged the Home Hub. Could you try resetting the Hub to factory settings? It may help.

Thanks

DanielS

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 9

If Windows desktop try device manager network adapters and scan for hardware changes 

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 9

Thanks, Daniel.  No, I don’t think that was the problem but did reset the hub yesterday.  It works perfectly well for a couple of hours then it cuts out and I have to start again.  

My hub only appears after it’s been switched off and on again.  The ones which do show up otherwise all seem to be printers...

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 9

Thanks - not home at the moment but can try later.  No recent hardware changes though...

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 9

None intentional I was just wondering if power cut affected network adapter or drivers even. Worth checking though 

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 9

Can you clarify whether or not the hub is dropping the connection and if so are all your devices dropping out or is it only your PC that is dropping out?

If it is only your PC that is dropping out and your other devices are staying connected it would appear to be a PC problem.

Have you tried a Network Reset on the PC?

Do do that click on the network icon at the bottom right of your taskbar then click on Network & Internet Settings. When the new box opens scroll down to "Network Reset" and follow the prompts.

Restart you computer and if using a wireless connection re enter your BT Hubs wireless password.

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 9

Thank you both for your suggestions which I have bookmarked just in case...  When I got home the other evening, it was all still up and running and (fingers crossed)  hasn't dropped out since...

0 Ratings