Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 1 of 6

Loss of connection after router reboot

Go to solution

I have a Heatmiser Smartstat. Everytime my router reboots my Smartstat looses connectivity with the Heatmiser server. Heatmiser say this is a router and BT issue specifically with the Homehub 6 that I have. The problem is reproducable. Do you have any ideas why this is happening. I have disabled the connection wizard and it still happens. The Smartstat reconnects to the router after a reboot but the Heatmiser server no longer recognises the device until I do a factory reset on the Smartstat.  I have assigned a fixed IP and that makes no difference.

0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 6

Re: Loss of connection after router reboot

Go to solution

Welcome to this user forum.

It sound like the home hub is forgetting the connection, a common problem with all of the home hubs.

Did you need to manually forward any ports, or does the unit just rely on UPnP to open ports?

Where is the Heatmiser server located?

The only reliable solution may be to use a third party router, prices start at about £35.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 3 of 6

Go to solution

Hi, I'm told there is no need to forward any ports so I havn't and after a factor reset it works perfectly until the broadband reboots itself which seems to be about every 2 weeks.  The Smartstat thermostat should just reconnect to the Smartstat server but it doesn't. The Heatmiser server is at their location somewhere in the midlands.

I'm happy to replace the router I just need a recommendation of a device that would be suitable as I have given up with Heatmiser ever being able to resolve this as they say they can't reproduce my situation, which I don't entirely believe.

Chris

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 6

Go to solution

The Smartstat must be using UPnP (Universal Plug and Play), which does not work reliably on the home  hubs.

This was raised by another forum member with a similar issue, and I suggested an alternative router, the same one that I use which costs about £35, and has not issues with UPnP, and is worth a try.

If you look at my Forumhelp website, item number 5 on my main menu, that will take you to the information.

This router has a page where you can actually see the status of UPnP, so you can see the Smartstat connection.

TP Link TD-W9970 UPnP screen

I would suggest that you give it a try. If you need more help, then please ask.

You will need to connected to BT Broadband to access any links I post which are hosted on my website..
If you are connected to BT Broadband, and you cannot access them, then please let me know on this thread. Thanks.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 5 of 6

Go to solution

Keith,

Initial testing shows the Smartstat reconnecting to the Heatmiser server when I reboot the router so this is great news.

Thanks for your help. it's a shame there isn't more about this bug posted on the forums.

Chris

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 6 of 6

Go to solution

I have the same issue. Not sure why the router reboots so often in the first place and how to find out how constant BT's broadband connection is. The solution offered here to overcome the loss of connection problem is to buy a different router. Really? Haven't there been any new solutions?

0 Ratings