Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
theabbot
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 15

Lost wifi connections

Hello

I have a Samsung Galaxy Tab S android tablet, which has been connecting fine to my Smarthub, but has suddenly stopped connecting.

I have tried removing my network name and adding it back again, to no avail. Thinking it may be an issue with my tablet I took it into a computer repair shop but they were  able to connect to their wifi and access the internet, so it doesn't seem to be the tablet.

I have also had a similar issue with my Xbox One S. It suddenly stopped connecting to Xbox Live. I have partially solved it by using an ethernet cable.

I am not very technical (hence going to the computer shop!), is there something I can do to try to get my tablet to connect again. Having looked around the forum I am getting a bit nervous about doing a factory reset, I don't want to lose all connections or blow it up!

0 Ratings
14 REPLIES
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 15

Re: Lost wifi connections

Welcome to this user forum.

Try a factory reset of the home hub, it will not damage it, and normally fixes most problems.

http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/11386/%7E/how-do-i-reset-my-bt-hub-to-its-factory-set...

Then turn off smart setup.

http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/44328/~/switching-smart-setup-on-and-off-on-the-bt-ho...

Its a common problem with all of the home hubs.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Communityhelp (Private website) Lots of additional information and help.
You will need to be connected to your home BT Broadband connection to view it, or any links to it that I post on this forum.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 15

have you turned of smart setup?

http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/44328/~/what-is-smart-setup-on-the-bt-hub%3F-how-can-...

did you split the networks

http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/56419/~/how-do-i-split-my-bt-hubs-ssid-%28wireless-ne...

if you have tried that then  I would do one factory reset by holding the recessed button on back of hub for 20/30 secs until hub lights flash  after it reconnects then turn off smart setup and split networks and sse if that helps

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
theabbot
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 15

Thanks for the quick replies.

Yes I had turned off smart setup and split the the networks when I originally set up the Smarthub.

I guess I'll have to try this factory reset and hope it works.

0 Ratings
theabbot
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 15

I have now done  a factory reset and put everything back to how I originally set things up.

My tablet was able to connect to the wifi, which was a relief but now my PC will not connect!

Thank goodness I have a 20 metre ethernet cable!

Windows 7 tried resetting my wireless adapter in my PC to no avail.

Could anyone point me in the right direction as what I can do?

Thanks

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 15

Try deleting the wireless connection stored on the laptop, then scan for wireless networks to locate the home hub, then re-enter the wireless password.

Make sure the Ethernet cable is unplugged first, so the home hub sees it as a wireless connection.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Communityhelp (Private website) Lots of additional information and help.
You will need to be connected to your home BT Broadband connection to view it, or any links to it that I post on this forum.

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 15

Hi @theabbot sorry you are having a problem with wifi connection from the Smart hub. We would like to investigate this issue further. Please send us over your details by clicking on my profile and selecting the contact the mods option. 

Cheers
John

Community ModeratorJohnC
Did you get the help you needed?
Help others by clicking on ‘Mark as accepted solution’
Show your appreciation!
Click on the star next to a reply to say thanks
Help guide to using the community? Click below
Kudos”
Make sure you are logged into the forum otherwise you will not see our contact link when a moderator offers help. When sending us your details please don’t send a Private message (PM), we can’t deal with account/service issues via PM so please use the contact link. Thank You
0 Ratings
Message 8 of 15

Hi @theabbot,

Thank you for taking my call. I've ran a few checks on your connection and there does look like there are a lot of disconnections. 

We would really need to rule out your internal wiring as being at fault. Please can you take a look at the link - Home wiring and broadband set-up - a checklist for a few suggestions.

Once you have gone through those suggestions, you'll need to follow step 5 and connect to the test socket.

Once you have connected to the test socket please post back and I'll run a few checks on your line.

Thanks

PaddyB

Community ModeratorPaddyB
Did you get the help you needed?
Help others by clicking on ‘Mark as accepted solution’
Show your appreciation!
Click on the star next to a reply to say thanks
Help guide to using the community? Click below
Kudos”
Make sure you are logged into the forum otherwise you will not see our contact link when a moderator offers help. When sending us your details please don’t send a Private message (PM), we can’t deal with account/service issues via PM so please use the contact link. Thank You
0 Ratings
theabbot
Aspiring Contributor
Message 9 of 15

Hello @PaddyB

I have now managed to connect my Smarthub via the test socket.

Still unable to connect wirelessly to my Windows 7 PC upstairs. I am usuing my ethernet cable.

Now awaiting your tests! 

Thanks for your help.

0 Ratings
theabbot
Aspiring Contributor
Message 10 of 15

Further information:

When I was going through the steps outlined in the home wiring checklist I found that when I connected my microfiulter directly into my master socket I could NOT get a dial tone. I could only get a dial tone when I have the Sky TV/telephone thingymyjig plugged in first.

Please see my images of aid item here:

Sky TV/telephone object

This thing does not have a nice snug fit into the master socket, it is quite loose. When I touch it, it moves, and I sometimes get a message on my landline phone "check phone line" and/or my Smarthub's blue light turns purple then flashing orange as it tries to reconnect.

So I am not sure if there is an issue with the master socket as I get no dial tone when directly connected, but I do when I have this Sky thing plugged in first, then connecting my microfilter into its spare slot.

Any thoughts?

0 Ratings