cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 11 of 16

Re: Lost wifi connections

This diagram shows the correct way to connect broadband, and a Sky box.

skyconns.jpg

0 Ratings
theabbot
Aspiring Contributor
Message 12 of 16

But when I use the correct method I get no dial tone so can't use my phone!

If I get no dial tone would I be able to conmnect to broadband?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 13 of 16

Then there is something wrong with your phone internal wiring.

You could start by disconnecting the Sky cable, and just plugging the phone and home hub into the test socket, if you have one.infinity_test.jpg

0 Ratings
theabbot
Aspiring Contributor
Message 14 of 16

Hello Keith

Thanks for the advice.

I am now directly connected to the test socket via my microfilter, with the Sky cable disconnected.

Whilst connected to the test socket I can still get a dial tone.

We are not with Sky, this is something we inherited from the previous occupants.

Please could someone test my phone line? I know @PaddyB mentioned that he would do this when I posted on this thread to say I am connected to the test socket, but naturally I don't know his work hours!

So, to sum up, when I have the Sky cable directly connected to the master socket, with my Smarthub and phone connected via microfilter into the Sky cable,  there IS a dial tone.

When the Smarthub and phone is directly  connected to the master socket via my microfilter there is NO dial tone.

When the Smarthub and phone are directly connected to the test socket via my microfilter there IS a dial tone.

Cheers

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 15 of 16

That points to an issue with your internal wiring, possible extensions causing the problem, or some strange wiring arrangement left by the last occupants.

I would leave the faceplate off the master socket, and using my  Sky wiring diagram, plug into the test socket instead.

Why is the Sky box still connected to the phone line, if you do not use Sky? I would just remove the Sky lead.

If you get dial tone at the test socket, then there is nothing any of the moderators can do, as the problem is with your own wiring.

0 Ratings
Message 16 of 16

Hi @theabbot,

I gave you mobile number a call, I'm sorry I didn't get speaking to you. I agree with @Keith_Beddoe, it does seem like it could be an issue with your internal wiring. If your connected to the test socket now as long the connection remains stable you should see an improvement.

With regards to wireless, I'm not sure why your Laptop is connecting. When you check the available WiFi networks does it show the Wifi belonging to you Hub? Are you trying to connect to the 2.4Ghz or 5Ghz?

I would suggest leaving your hub connected to the test socket for the next few days to see if the connection stabilises. I'm out of the office over the next few days but I'll get on of my colleague to follow up with you again on Friday to see how the connection is performing.

Thanks

PaddyB

0 Ratings