Search instead forΒ 
Did you mean:Β 
Highlighted
Marineboy69
Beginner
Message 1 of 10

Loyal Customer still only using Bt Hub 2

Go to solution

I have been a loyal BT customer since the last century and I have never been offered a hub upgrade. I am still using an old BT hub 2 which frequently drops in and out of connection through interference 😒 Anyone know the policy for customer hub upgrades?

A bit of loyalty back from BT would be appreciated πŸ‘πŸ»πŸ‘πŸ»

0 Ratings
9 REPLIES 9
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 10

Re: Loyal Customer still only using Bt Hub 2

Go to solution

If its wireless interference, then a new hub will make no difference. You best option is to try all 13 wireless channels on the home hub 2, untill you find the one with least interference.

If its a problem with your line, then again, a new hub would not help.

Older home hub 2s did suffer from power unit problems, but as you mentioned on your last thread, you hav swapped that out. You also mentioned that the lights changed colour, which would indicate a line fault.

Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 10

Go to solution

You do not get offered an "upgrade"of any of the Homehubs. You would need to ask for one and make it part of your contract renewal so that you get it for free.

0 Ratings
Marineboy69
Beginner
Message 4 of 10

Go to solution
Thanks, it's not wireless interference but electrical things that when plugged in cause the hub to drop in and out of Internet connection.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 10

Go to solution

@Marineboy69 wrote:
Thanks, it's not wireless interference but electrical things that when plugged in cause the hub to drop in and out of Internet connection.

Then you need to take a close look at any phone wiring that may be running close to electrical cables. Ideally the home hub should be plugged into a filtered master socket, and any extension wiring taken from the filtered output of that master socket.

Make sure the home hub is not plugged into close to any large electrical appliances.

Electrical interference will affect all of the BT Home hubs, and third party routers.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 10

Go to solution

@Marineboy69 Be careful what you wish for. A new hub is not necessarily an 'upgrade' !!!

0 Ratings
Marineboy69
Beginner
Message 7 of 10

Go to solution

Thanks Keith,

Yes this could be my problem πŸ€”

I have my hub 2 connected upstairs in my attic with my Pcs connected directly to it - need a good connection for work related downloads and uploads etc.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 10

Go to solution

That is almost centainly the cause of your dropouts, unless the master socket is in the loft, as is sometimes the case where a line is fed from a pole.

You may be best connecting the home hub directly to a filtered master socket where the underground line comes in, then using broadband extenders to carry the Ethernet connection over the mains wiring, to your attic.

A new hub is not going to help, and may make it worse, as the latest hubs are intended for use on VDSL and ADSL. The wider frequency bandwidth makes them more likely to drop out on ADSL in the presence of electrical interference.

0 Ratings
Marineboy69
Beginner
Message 9 of 10

Go to solution

Thanks Keith,

I am now trialing the hub 2 at the main phone socket downstairs, so far so good - no drop outs etc.

Can you recommend any good bt broadband extenders, bearing in mind I would like to plug in at least 2 x Pcs in by Ethernet cables?

0 Ratings
Marineboy69
Beginner
Message 10 of 10

Go to solution

Switching to another channel seems to have cured my drop outs, fingers crossed, will observe the hub over the next few days.

Thanks again for your help, very much appreciated. πŸ‘πŸ»

0 Ratings