Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Kitt
Contributor
Message 1 of 3

MAC Address Filtering on HH3?

Go to solution

Hi Guys\Gals,

I've been reading through one or two of the posts on BB usage figures! It seems that some folk have others leeching their connection and artificially increasing their usage! I'm aware that one should always change a default password to something more personal, but I was wondering if MAC address filtering is an available option of the HH3 ...which I am due to have installed next Thursday.

I have some technical ability with networking & in the past (with cable) I've always found the MAC filtering option to be reassuring, but I haven't yet read about anybody with HH3 enabling it - I may have jumped the gun a little & missed this as a cure for leeching! But would like to know in advance if HH3 is capable.

If MAC filtering isn't an option, I will probably invest in a third party router ...as it would peev me right off to think that somebody else could be piggybacking the connection I'll be paying for.

Thanks In Advance. Smiley Happy

0 Ratings
2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3

Re: MAC Address Filtering on HH3?

Go to solution

Hello Kitt,

Sorry - there is no option to Mac address filter on a Home Hub.

I agree that security in depth is important, but Mac address filtering might not be the silver bullet you think it is. If a person is capable of cracking WEP and/or WPA, then they are capable of Mac address spoofing. As soon as the encryption is beaten, the Mac addresses are up for grabs through packet sniffing/ARP/RARP.

If you are really paranoid, it might be best to switch off Wireless entirely and rely on Ethernet/Homeplugs.

Hope this helps Smiley Sad

0 Ratings
Kitt
Contributor
Message 3 of 3

Re: MAC Address Filtering on HH3?

Go to solution

Thanks for the reply.

I'm sure you're right about it not being a "silver bullet", but used in conjunction with other security measures it's another layer of protection that is better to have than not, don't you think?

As I said, I feel better knowing it's there. 

0 Ratings