cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Taffy078
Expert
Message 1 of 7

MAJOR PROBLEM - my wife's sub-account has disappeared.

Go to solution

When my wife tried to log in just now, she was 'not recognised'. I check my account - the primary account - and found only my main account and two sub-accounts in my name. My wife's has gone - so has my two daughters'. They're with different providers now so that may not be such a big problem - I don't know as I haven't told thrm.

But losing my wife's sub-account is a major problem.

I tried creating another - it appeared to work, as it's showing in the list but she is still 'not recognised'. I half-expected it wouldn't work because BT said they'd put a block on new sub-accounts until the migration to BT mail has ended.

What the chuff (a technical but emotive word!) do I do now? Has my wife lost all of her emails, including our holiday bookings etc etc etc?

Can anyone help before my wife throws me out of the house?

0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
Community Manager
Community Manager
Message 2 of 7

Re: MAJOR PROBLEM - my wife's sub-account has disappeared.

Go to solution

Hi Taffy,

Really sorry about this.  Lets try get to the bottom of this before your wife decides to throw you out Smiley Wink

Please drop me an email and include the addresses that have disappeared and your BT account details.  Click on my username (SeanD) and you will find the contact link under the 'about me' section of my profile.

We can get to the bottom of this.

Cheers

Sean

Taffy078
Expert
Message 3 of 7

Go to solution

Smiley Very HappyHello Sean. Not long after I posted, a friend phoned me to say he'd seen my thread, that the Forum couldn't help and that I should contact BT. So I did. A successful LiveChat and GoToAssist session followed and my wife's mailbox is now working. Phew. The adviser said my account had been compromised and so I had to change my security question and password. I did this just before Christmas so was feeling quite safe but my wife has now opened an email from BT that says:

From: BT Yahoo! My Account Services <my-yahoo-register@cc.yahoo-inc.com>;
To: <the wife of the megastarTaffy@btopenworld.com>; Subject: Password changed
Sent: Mon, Dec 30, 2013 9:21:07 AM
Email address:  XXX@btopenworld.com

Your password for this account has recently been changed. You don't
need to do anything, this message is simply a notification to protect
the security of your account. 

DO NOT REPLY TO THIS MESSAGE.

She didn't reply because she hadn't seen it! I will contact you re my daughters' accounts - thanks for your help - but for now:

(1) Is it possible for a sub-account to be compromised without the primary account being compromised?

(2) Is it possible to view the log-in history older than two days ago? That would show what caused the BT email to be sent.

It's OK for you to cancel the collection for flowers & grapes as my wife is now a very happy bunny!!  I inserted a smiley here but it didn't work! Just seen it at the top!!

0 Ratings
Community Manager
Community Manager
Message 4 of 7

Go to solution

Hi Taffy,

Happy days, I am glad its all sorted.  I went ahead and edited your post and removed the name in front of the @BTopenworld part, I only realised what it said after I had edited out and appreciate that it wasn't the correct address Smiley Very Happy

I must say I laughed when I seen, To: <the wife of the **********@btopenworld.com>; Subject: Password changed

Sean

0 Ratings
Taffy078
Expert
Message 5 of 7

Go to solution

@Taffy078 wrote:

I will contact you re my daughters' accounts - thanks for your help - but for now:

Just been told that my daughters cancelled their BT accounts years ago! I don't remember removing them from my list!

So no need to bother you Sean on this aspect.

0 Ratings
Taffy078
Expert
Message 6 of 7

Go to solution

Hello again, SeanD - I got so sidetracked by my attempt at a humorous  change when posting the email, and your reply, that I forgot to ask if you would answer the two questions I'd posed:

(1) Is it possible for a sub-account to be compromised without the primary account being compromised?

(2) Is it possible to view the log-in history older than two days ago? That would show what caused the BT email to be sent.

At the moment I have absolutely no way of telling if my (primary) account and/or my wife's sub-account have been compromised.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 7
Moved:

Go to solution
0 Ratings