cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 9

MESH router connect directly to fibre box

I recently upgraded to full FTTP, 300MBps. Very happy with the speed and stability.

I wanted to increase the speed of my WiFi network so bought an Orbi RBK50 router plus one satellite.

The router has a normal ethernet port marked "internet" so I was expecting to be able to plug this into the fibre box, in place of my existing smart hub. This didn't work - it didn't detect the internet connection.

At the moment I've got the smart hub plugged in, and the Orbi connected to one of the ethernet ports on the Smart Hub.

Am I doing something wrong, or is that just the way it has to be?

Thanks

0 Ratings
8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9

Re: MESH router connect directly to fibre box

Have you configured the Orbi with the PPPoE  login details of bthomehub@btbroadband.com and password BT?

Message 3 of 9

No, I'll give that a go, as I'd obviously prefer not to have the BT hub running as well as the orbi if I don't have to. Thanks. 

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 9

@benb It’s a long shot suggestion and I suspect you already have but did you change the Orbi from access mode to router mode in addition to @licquorice  suggestion of pppoe. If you’ve connected the Orbi to the SH2 it will need to be in access mode and by removing it you’ll need to switch the Orbi to router mode.

Message 5 of 9

Thanks both, I'll try those things and update here 

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 9

Hi

Just FYI, thanks to the assistance provided by @licquorice and @Forthay I have now got this working as needed.

It wasn't really obvious during setup of the Orbi, but I found it in the manual settings.

Thanks again - always good to have one less device plugged in!
Message 7 of 9

Nice one @benb . Good choice with Orbi. I use mines in access mode with a UDM.

They’ve been reliable and fast.

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 9

Hi, I’m facing the same problem. How did you resolve it?

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 9

Did you read message 2 and message 4?

0 Ratings