Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
irban
Aspiring Expert
Message 1 of 11

MICROSOFT SECURITY DOWNLOADS

Go to solution

Last night I received 5 security downloads,  one failed and four v anshed into the ether.  Is there a way of getting them back.  I  have tried searching for updates but there is no sign of them

0 Ratings
10 REPLIES 10
Liam_
Recognised Expert
Message 2 of 11

Re: MICROSOFT SECURITY DOWNLOADS

Go to solution
0 Ratings
irban
Aspiring Expert
Message 3 of 11

Go to solution

Thanks Liam.  Sorry I forgot to mention that I run Windows 7.  But thanks for taking the trouble to reply

0 Ratings
Liam_
Recognised Expert
Message 4 of 11

Go to solution
0 Ratings
gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 11

Go to solution

Did you take a note of the update number and have you searched your "update history" to see if the updates were installed?

As regards the failed update, if you search again using Windows Update and if it does show up try reinstalling it.

If it does not re-install, what error message does it give.

If you have tried searching for the updates using the Windows update program on Windows 7 you may find that your computer does not actually need those updates and therefore they will not show up again when you rescan and it could also be the case that the failed update is not actually needed or has previously been installed.

0 Ratings
irban
Aspiring Expert
Message 6 of 11

Go to solution

Thank you gg30340.  The only number I have is for the failed update (KB 890830).  The other four are missing completely from the installed list.

.  Have searched update history and there is no sign of them.  I remember the updates showing that they were important and after selecting a restore point they were showing as (downloading 4 of 5).  After that they vanished completely

0 Ratings
irban
Aspiring Expert
Message 7 of 11

Go to solution

Thank you Liam.  I have to be perfectly honest and say that I do not know where to type all these web sites and if I did I dont understand a single word they are talking about.  I am grateful for your time but you are streets ahead of me in computer logic.  We will talk again in the future.  Cheers

0 Ratings
Liam_
Recognised Expert
Message 8 of 11

Go to solution

Not to worry.  You could have a look here and see if it helps with the missing updates.

https://www.catalog.update.microsoft.com/Search.aspx?q=kb890830

If you click on the products bar it will sort the updates by the OS number.  Takes a couple of clicks to get Win 7 together at the top.  Then they  (should) sort themselves by date.  If you want to investigate other pages just repeat the process, using the back and forward links top right.

imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 11

Go to solution

I would try getting windows to check for updates and as already said if your windows version needs the updates then it will download them but often after downloading windows decides the updates are no longer required for your system

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 11

Go to solution

The update KB890830 is Microsoft's Malicious Software Removal Tool. You will find it on the link that Liam has posted. It will be either the first or third one shown on the list depending on which type of operating system you have.

This update is provided every month and after it is installed it scans your computer the next time it starts up.

If you are still running Norton 360 Antivirus program on your computer you should have adequate protection so if you are unable to install the update it should not be much of an issue unless of course there is some malware on your computer preventing it from running.

You should try running a full virus scan and if you have any malware scanners such as Malwarebytes on your computer you should run that as well.

If they come up negative try reinstaling the update. 

As regards the other updates it may just be that they were not needed.

0 Ratings