Did you mean: 
Highlighted
epoch71
Beginner
Message 1 of 15

MK3 I-Plate cabling query

Go to solution

Hi all

I've just moved into a new flat and need to sort my net cabling.

In my previous flat I was experiencing speed issues.  An Openreach engineer attended, and fitted a MK3 I-Plate, and fed a cable (CAT5 presumably?) to a 'Max Headroom' socket.  Pics attached.

Mk3 Socket in previous flat:

Connector for router:

I'd like to replicate that setup in my new flat (I don't use a landline, fwiw).

However, I'm unsure about what the wiring in the I-Plate.  Do I just need to connect 1 pair to A & B, and if so, what colours?  Or, must I connect the extension cable to the terminals on the underside of the lower front plate (not pictured)?  Or both!

I hope that's not too confusing, and thanks in advance for any advice.

Kind regards.

epoch71

0 Ratings
14 REPLIES 14
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 15

Re: MK3 I-Plate cabling query

Go to solution

Welcome to this user forum.

That was not an I-Plate, it was an SSFP.

You will need a landline connection, as that carries the broadband, assuming you are on Fibre To The cabinet, and the lack of a physical phone connection can have an adverse effect on your line performance.

There should be an existing Openreach master socket, as you cannot the incoming line direct to your equipment.

Which one of these matches your master phone socket?

nte.jpg or oldnte.jpgor adslface.jpg ornewnte.jpg

Any extensions must be connected to the terminals on the back of the removable section.

0 Ratings
epoch71
Beginner
Message 3 of 15

Go to solution

Hi

Apologies - I meant I don't use a landline phone - the only equipment connected to the line in the house is the VDSL modem/router.

Master socket:

And the Openreach engineer gave me this:

Regards.

epoch71

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 15

Go to solution
just remove the lower plate on the existing socket then fit the SSFP then refit the removable faceplate and do up the fixing screws
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 15

Go to solution

@epoch71 wrote:

Hi

Apologies - I meant I don't use a landline phone - the only equipment connected to the line in the house is the VDSL modem/router.

Before you totally ignore having a phone, its worth reading this post which applies to all broadband connections.

https://community.bt.com/t5/ADSL-Copper-Broadband-Speed/No-Internet-and-horrible-bt-customer-service...

0 Ratings
epoch71
Beginner
Message 6 of 15

Go to solution

Hi

Thanks for the reply.  Unfortunately though it doesn't actually answer my question in the OP.

The cable running down from the socket in the first pic is presumably CAT5e (or more likely CAT6 - I seem to recall it being somewhat more rigid than CAT5e).  I need to know how to wire that onto the SSFP (which only has A and B connectors).  Or do I need to connect anything to the 2, 3 and 5 connectors on the underside of the removable faceplate? Or do I need to connect to both?

As per my OP, all I'm using this extension for is connecting to the broadband router.  No voice.  And no other extensions elswewhere in the property.

Also thanks Keith_Beddoe.  Interesting post.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 15

Go to solution

The connections on the removable faceplate do not carry the broadband signal, its only for phone connections.

All you need to do is plug the home hub into top socket.

0 Ratings
epoch71
Beginner
Message 8 of 15

Go to solution

Hi

I really do appreciate you taking the time to reply, but unfortunately it's not answering my question.  I know I can connect the router to the top socket.  However, as I said in my original post that is not what I want to do.

I want to replicate the setup as per my first 2 pics in the post, which is what the Openreach engineer did for me in my previous home.

So, I want to run a cable from the bottom of the socket, down, through the wall, into the study, and to the connector shown in the 2nd pic in the original post.  The modem/router will then connect, unfiltered, into that.

So what I need to know is:

1. since this is a data-only extension do I need to connect only to A/B on the SSFP (and if so, which colours)?
  2. or must I connect also to the 2/3/5 connectors on the front plate (and if so, which colours)?

Clearly what I want to do is possible, because it was done in my previous home.  Unfortunately I was unable to take pics of the socket internals before I left, which would have negated my need to post and ask for assistance.

Thanks in advance for any additional help.

epoch71

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 15

Go to solution

The two pins shown here are for data.

Image1.jpg

You would then connect an RJ11 data extension cable (2 wires) to those pins, and terminate them on a RJ11 socket where your home hub would plug into.

The connections on the back of the faceplate are filtered, and do not carry the broadband signal, as they are for phone connection only.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 15

Go to solution

@epoch71 wrote:

Hi

I really do appreciate you taking the time to reply, but unfortunately it's not answering my question.  I know I can connect the router to the top socket.  However, as I said in my original post that is not what I want to do.

I want to replicate the setup as per my first 2 pics in the post, which is what the Openreach engineer did for me in my previous home.

So, I want to run a cable from the bottom of the socket, down, through the wall, into the study, and to the connector shown in the 2nd pic in the original post.  The modem/router will then connect, unfiltered, into that.

So what I need to know is:

1. since this is a data-only extension do I need to connect only to A/B on the SSFP (and if so, which colours)? Yes, electrons aren't fussy about colour as long as it is the same both ends.
  2. or must I connect also to the 2/3/5 connectors on the front plate (and if so, which colours)? No

Clearly what I want to do is possible, because it was done in my previous home.  Unfortunately I was unable to take pics of the socket internals before I left, which would have negated my need to post and ask for assistance.

Thanks in advance for any additional help.

epoch71

0 Ratings