cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 16

Macbook Pro / Bt HomeHub Wifi Connection Issues

Go to solution

I have a MacBook Pro running OS X 10.9.1. My ISP is BT Vision so have a open reach fibre modem and a BT HomeHub. All my other wifi devices (iPhone 4S, 5S and Ipad 3) connect to my home network and internet first time every time! However, my MacBook is extremely temperamental.

When the laptop does connect to the internet it takes a random combination of restarting and turning the wifi on and off. If the laptop is left to connect on its own it either takes an extended period of time (30mins) or it simply won't connect. I have looked through the wifi settings but can't see any reason why the laptop won't connect. The wifi network is visible all he time.

Any ideas?

0 Ratings
15 REPLIES 15
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 16

Re: Macbook Pro / Bt HomeHub Wifi Connection Issues

Go to solution

Welcome to this forum.

Which BT home hub do you have, as that will help forum members to assist you?

0 Ratings
KwameUchiha
Message 3 of 16

Go to solution

I know how to solve this problem had the same issue, its basically because you BTHome hub runs a 5GHz frequency a long with a 2GHz frequency and for some reason your mac tries to connect to that even though they dont have the techologies will allow them to run on that frequency, making you not connect to the internet. To fix this log into your homehub settings onlin by going to http://bthomehub.home/ then going to advanced settings, wireless which should be under it and then click on the 5GHz and turn it off or rename  it and click apply. So you can make your laptop connect to the correct frequency. IF you can connect to the internet on your laptop then you can still do the same steps and process on your phone or any device that connects your BThomehub.

beaniee
Message 4 of 16

Go to solution

Just wanted to say thanks for this info - was having the same issues with my macbook and now all fixed.

Smiley Very Happy

0 Ratings
s_p_morris
Contributor
Message 5 of 16

Go to solution
Excellent nugget of information, this has happened to me on several occasions and this cause/remedy makes total sense.
Many thanks for sharing.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 16

Go to solution

@s_p_morris wrote:
Excellent nugget of information, this has happened to me on several occasions and this cause/remedy makes total sense.
Many thanks for sharing.

I thought from your own post

https://community.bt.com/t5/Other-Broadband-Queries/Home-Hub-3-keeps-dropping-wireless-network-after...

that you have a Homehub 3. The HH3 only works on the 2.4GHz frequency, it does not have the 5GHz frequency so the suggested fix wouldn't be relevant to you.

0 Ratings
s_p_morris
Contributor
Message 7 of 16

Go to solution

I'm a busy IT/media professional: I frequently use my Macbook at off-base client locations. It needs to connect, or re-connect, to a wide range of wireless hardware installations that utilise an assortment of connection types.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 16

Go to solution

I can not see how a device that can not even see the 5GHz frequency tries to connect to it! It is know that some devices and Apple devices in particular, that can see both the 2.4GHz and 5GHz can have problems with both the frequencies sharing the same SSid (name) and that a recommend fix on this forum is to give the frequencies separate SSids and to ensure that the sync between the two frequencies  is set to no. I don't know how you would be able to do that at your clients locations unless they let you adjust their router.

0 Ratings
1Thor
Message 9 of 16

Go to solution
Thank you - this has been extremely helpful. Weeks of not knowing what to do having tried all the Apple diagnostics and assistant help. problem now solved using only 2.4 GHZ connection.
0 Ratings
jgiblin
Message 10 of 16

Go to solution

Thanks for the tip! It's actually worked the other way for me now though... it would only connect to 5GHz? I'm not complaining though!

0 Ratings