cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Sbutlerphotos
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 19

Macbook Pro drops out connection to homehub 3

I have a homehub 3 and BT Infinity. I can connect all of my devices via Wi-Fi without any problems but my 2015 Macbook Pro 13 retina really struggles to keep connection via Wi-Fi.

It will connect to the BT Hub3 SSID and then, sometimes after a minute, sometimes after an hour, the connection will drop. The macbook will then connect to BTWifi-with-FON and a dialogue box will pop up asking me to enter my BT account details (username and password).

My iPhone, my LG G5 smartphone, my son's LG G4 smartphone, my PS3, Sky HD box and LG Smart TV all connect fine to the HH3 Wi-Fi with no dropouts.

I have done a search and it seems that you can change some settings if you have a HH5 to get a macbook to work. But I can't make those changes with a HH3. BT support are useless and told me to pay for BT Tech Experts and that the problem is the mac and not the hub.

Is there a solution to get a HH3 to work with my MacBook Pro? Please help!
0 Ratings
18 REPLIES 18
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 19

Re: Macbook Pro drops out connection to homehub 3

If everything else works, the problem appears to be with the Mac, not the hub. Try turning off 5G wireless on the Mac.

0 Ratings
Sbutlerphotos
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 19

Thanks. How do I turn off 5G wireless on my Mac?
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 19

No idea haven't got a Mac

0 Ratings
Sbutlerphotos
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 19

OK, thanks. Does anyone else know?
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 19

If you increase the HH5 DHCP lease time, you may solve the problem. It sounds like every time the lease expires, the Macbook loses connection, and connects to BT Wifi.

You also should be a way of removing the BT Wifi connection from the list of stored connections.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 19

Presumably its somewhere in the wireless settings.

0 Ratings
Dode
Expert
Message 8 of 19

As far as I know you can't turn 5Ghz off on the Mac. It's turned off in the HHub and 'I think' that would have to be a HH5.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 19

The Homehub 3 does not transmit the 5Ghz frequency so it is unlikely to be your problem. 

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 19

Which is why I suggested trying turning it off on the Mac in case it was somehow trying to connect with a 5G signal which doesn't exist on the HH3 and getting confused. As Apple devices seem to be easily confused. Smiley Happy

0 Ratings