cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 11 of 19

Re: Macbook Pro drops out connection to homehub 3

If there is no 5Ghz signal why would it try and connect to it. The network card wouldn't even register it.

0 Ratings
Dode
Expert
Message 12 of 19

You could try using Wireless Diagnostics which is a program built in to the Mac. I think you can set it to monitor your connection over a period. It's found in System>Library>CoreServices>Applications>Wireless Diagnostics.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 13 of 19

@gg30340 wrote:

If there is no 5Ghz signal why would it try and connect to it. The network card wouldn't even register it.

Who knows what Mac's try to do. Smiley Happy

0 Ratings
Sbutlerphotos
Aspiring Contributor
Message 14 of 19

Thanks for your suggestions so far. They've all been really helpful.

Dode: thanks, will give that a try.
0 Ratings
stevebrass
Expert
Message 15 of 19

Click on the wifi symbol (top left) on the Macbook

On the menu click "open network preferences"

On the window that opens click on the wifi connection then click on advanced.

Th window that appears give you the facility to delete a connection - use - button.

Then click the add button and put in the HH3's ssid and password, selecting QPA2 personal.

Click ok then apply (if needed) and try that.

0 Ratings
Sbutlerphotos
Aspiring Contributor
Message 16 of 19

Thanks Stevebrassass. I followed your instructions but unfortunately it's made the connection problems worse, not better 😞

Dode - I ran the wireless diagnostic tool. It came up with this problem:

Crowded Wi-Fi Channel.

Your current Wi-Fi network is operating on channels that are being used by several other nearby Wi-Fi networks. This may result in poor Wi-Fi performance or an unreliable Wi-Fi connection.

Typically, restarting your wireless router will allow it to automatically choose the channel to use, and may resolve the problem.  

Alternatively, try to configure the wireless router to use 5GHz rather than 2.4GHz wherever possible. Note that some devices only support 2.4GHz channels, so this may not always be possible.

I have reset my router and this didn't sort out the problem. Unfortunately I don't think my HH3 supports 5GHz so that isn't an option.

Anyone else have any suggestions?  Should I contact Apple support?

0 Ratings
Dode
Expert
Message 17 of 19

( clutching at straws) Have you tried a Factory Reset of the Hub? Don't know how you do it on the HH3. Keep in mind any changed passwords will go back to factory default.

I suspect that Apple will blame the Hub but it may be worth a go, or a search on the support Forums.

0 Ratings
Sbutlerphotos
Aspiring Contributor
Message 18 of 19

Thanks will give it a try.

BT support blame the Mac not their Homehub.  I suspect you are right that Apple will blame the Homehub.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 19 of 19

Try a factory reset of the Homehub by pressing a pin into the recess button on the rear for about 20 seconds. 

Once you have done that turn off "smart wireless" on the Homehub by selecting a fixed wireless channel. Usually the least congested channel is channel 13. You may get a warning when you select the channel but just ignore it.

See link how to do switch off "smart wireless" and select a channel.

http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/14094/~/how-do-i-change-the-wireless-channel-on-my-bt...

0 Ratings