Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
casslm
Aspiring Contributor
Message 11 of 46

Re: Macs drop off and won't connect to BTHub - Macs and BT Broadband

Go to solution

I have a possibly related problem.

Two iMacs and a Windows 7 laptop, HomeHub 5.

I have the main iMac on a cable, the other and the laptop via WiFi.

The laptop can print to the cable iMac's printer but the second iMac cannot see the first iMac on the network - no shared driver or printers.

If I unplug the LAB cable and make the main iMac use WiFi, then the second iMac immediately sees it and can print.

So there seems to be something wrong with how the wired connections are implemented on the HomeHub5.

I've also had no end of hassle trying to get the wired iMac to see a NAS drive (had similar problems with HH3 too).  I want this to be a wired connection because it makes big backups much faster than via WiFi but frequently the iMac cannot find its TimeMachine files on the NAS drive and even when it can (after lots of hopeful rebooting, restarting the router, restarting the drive, running discovery tools etc) it tends to drop the drive again shortly after doing its backup.

If I run the HH5 cable into an old spare Linksys router (or a 4-port hub) and use it to feed both the iMac and the drive then there is no problem at all (apart from wasting electricity).  BT says this is a drive problem and Seagate say it is a router problem!

Does anyone know of a replacement for the HomeHub5 that actually works?

Thanks

Roger

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 12 of 46

Go to solution

@casslm wrote:

Does anyone know of a replacement for the HomeHub5 that actually works?

Thanks

Roger

Yes, the TP LINK TD-W9980. About £65 in the BT shop, going like hotcakes apparently.

0 Ratings
Message 13 of 46

Go to solution

After a few days of pulling my hair out I cam across this solution - worked straight away - thank you.

0 Ratings
Captive
Message 14 of 46

Go to solution
Thanks for sharing this. I've struggled with this problem for ages and now all seems to be fine. Brilliant! Cheers.
0 Ratings
Intertav
Message 15 of 46

Go to solution

This is brilliant and works without a hitch. i have been looking for a solution to my WIFI issues for 3 months and numerous calls with Apple. Thank you for this....I can finally sleep peacefully 

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Careyk
Message 16 of 46

Go to solution
Thank you so much for posting this simple guide! We have been tortured for months with this issue and the apple store technical team have been NO help whatsoever. They advised a hard reboot for the mac! My husband is over the moon with me and I'm just so grateful someone took the time to post a solution. 😄
0 Ratings
jfkyachts
Beginner
Message 17 of 46

Go to solution
Do we lose any speed or functions as a result of doing this? Just wondering?
Does this affect IPads or earlier Macs....?
I have just carried out the instructions so will report back!
0 Ratings
airbourneuk
Beginner
Message 18 of 46

Go to solution

Thanks for this post. Was having same problem and your solution resolved it. 

0 Ratings
Swanny1
Message 19 of 46

Go to solution

Brilliant fix!  Thanks so much for posting - brilliant solution to an intractable and very frustrating problem! 

0 Ratings
jfkyachts
Beginner
Message 20 of 46

Go to solution

Three days after switching off the 5Mhz wireless, it does seem to be working much much better - something clearly happened around April 25th when BT again "updated" the hub. Really annoying.

I am still waiting/wondering if anything follows this - like reduced functionality in other areas, but our Broadband speed in Susses is so slow, it is difficult to tell!

Any other comments will be most welcome to hear - further experiences.

0 Ratings