cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
coreservers
Contributor
Message 1 of 4

Main phone connection confusion

Not sure if this is the correct board....

Currently have some major building work underway, and need to know which is the main phone socket. To Explain. The house was extended in the early 70's and the box in the left hand photo is where the original back door would have been, this is now between kitchen and dining room. the right hand box is at the bottom of the stairs.

There are no overhead cables, all phone lines in this part of the village run underground, and there is a BT access panel in the pavement outside the property. 

The left hand photo is in an area where laminate will be laid, and I'd dearly love to remove, but obviously as im not sure if its the main connection or an extension, i cant. The one on the stiars will b e unaffected. phonemain.jpg

And I do know i need a lovely new master socket, and will probably book BT to install one once the kitchen is complete. 

0 Ratings
3 REPLIES 3
Devon_Dave
Distinguished Guru
Message 2 of 4

Re: Main phone connection confusion

Neither of those boxes are your main socket they are purely connection boxes used to terminate the wires. 

You would need to start where the phone line leaves the main incoming point. 

Do you have other sockets around the house that you use?

Sometimes if there is a lot of wiring, connection boxes and sockets around the house it is easier to just have a new socket installed from the incoming point and providing you have no other needs for phone points around the house (intruder alarm, etc)

This old wiring could then be removed. 

(If I have helped you in any way please click the thumbs up. Thank You)
If I have solved your Issue please click the "Mark as accepted solution" button.
0 Ratings
coreservers
Contributor
Message 3 of 4

Thanks... Will keep looking. though no idea where it could be... would be easy to tell if we had an overhead cable. Ah well onwards 🙂

0 Ratings
Devon_Dave
Distinguished Guru
Message 4 of 4

Suggest you start tracing cables to follow where they end up. 

(If I have helped you in any way please click the thumbs up. Thank You)
If I have solved your Issue please click the "Mark as accepted solution" button.
0 Ratings