Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Kamy111
Beginner
Message 1 of 3

Main socket query

Hi all

Just had my new house rewired for ethernet cables running from 1 port upstairs. after the rewire realised there is also a port downstairs. 

The one leading upstairs is a black wire and the one downstairs is a brown wire.

Is there a way if telling which is the master socket and if it can be changed if it have had rewired to wrong socket?

Does it matter of i have all ethrnets leading to a secondary port should it happen to not be the master?

0 Ratings
2 REPLIES 2
gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 3

Re: Main socket query

Just to clarify. Are you talking only about Ethernet sockets or are you talking about your phone socket?

If you are talking about Ethernet sockets and the colour of the Ethernet cable sheathing it will make no difference what so ever the colour of the sheathing is. It is how the cable inside the sheathing is connected up at the terminals/sockets that matters.

You are not very clear on what your set up is so perhaps if you can post a diagram of your set up showing where the Ethernet sockets are more advice can be given.

0 Ratings
Kamy111
Beginner
Message 3 of 3

Re: Main socket query

Sorry i mean the main telephone socket to connect the modem to?

Does it have to be connected to the main socket?  Ethernet cables are running off the upstairs telephone socket but not sure if its the main

0 Ratings