cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jlovie
Aspiring Expert
Message 21 of 207

BT FTP webspace not working

The old-style BT webspace seems to be getting very unreliable in the last few days. I still use it to FTP photos, but it seems to fail quite often. I remember about a year ago when they accidentally completely disabled it and it took days to sort out as nobody at BT seemed to know about it - I hope that's not going to happen again.
0 Ratings
Muckypaws
Aspiring Contributor
Message 22 of 207

Re: BT FTP webspace not working

It seems the problem is with BT, though phoning them doesn't help as the call centre doesn't understand the problem.

It appears that our Accounts have been disassociated with our web space!  FTP Reports the following (I've removed the username.) :-

BT need to investigate, as I'm sure we are all using our correct login credentials!

ftp> open ftp.btinternet.com
Connected to ftp.btinternet.com.
220-
220-                 BTopenworld FTP Server
220-
220-BTopenworld maintains this FTP archive as a service to its Internet
220-customers. Please use it with consideration for others.
220-
220-The local time is Fri Oct  1 15:42:04 2010.
220-You are user 2, out of a maximum permitted of 1500.
220-
220-Please read the README files for more information about the contents of
220-each directory. Note that if FTP hangs or dies, try putting a hyphen at
220-the start of your password.
220-
220-DISCLAIMER: British Telecommunications plc is not liable for any use,
220-storage or transmission of any files stored on this archive unless
220-otherwise stated.
220-
220-Please email suggestions and questions to support@btopenworld.com
220-
220-
220-
220 condmzwds02-th.dmz.ncs.th.ibs-infra.bt.com FTP server (BTI / Version wu-2.4.2 (18) Fri May 12 13:56:48 BST 2000) ready.
User (ftp.btinternet.com:(none)): ***************
530-Login failed as you do not have a homepage associated with this email name.
530-Have you previously uploaded using a different email name.
Connection closed by remote host.

ftp>

0 Ratings
seamaid
Aspiring Contributor
Message 23 of 207

Re: My BT FTP webspace is now working

Just popping in to say that most of my web site hosted on BT seems to be up and running now... hopefully this will continue so sending out my thanks to the Universe,Stephanie and BT engineers! {smile}

I have not tried to ftp any new files though yet am happy that the pages are back showing online.

Tags (2)
0 Ratings
rich1608
Contributor
Message 24 of 207

Re: My BT FTP webspace is now working

Mine has been on and off ever since Tuesday evening and is currently down, as it has been most of the day. I can't log in to update files either.

0 Ratings
jlovie
Aspiring Expert
Message 25 of 207

A similar problem happened in March 2009, it was a nightmare even getting someone at BT to acknowledge the problem. 

0 Ratings
Responder
Aspiring Contributor
Message 26 of 207

Even though the problem still exists regarding web hosting and ftp. BT are aware of the situation and are looking into it.  They thought the problem was an internet connection issue but have now realised it isn't.

The last two days have been terrible with no host server and ftp activity at all.  Whereas as present, it comes and goes.

QUOTE from BTCare via Twitter to myself: Hey, i checked and they are aware of the issue and are working to remedy asap, couldn't give me an exact timescale but asap

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Guru
Message 27 of 207

Re: Major problem with BT Internet web hosting

@StephanieG wrote:

Hi guys,

Sorry for the problems you're having with web hosting, could you drop me an email with your forum username (or a link to this thread) and your account and hosting details, so we can take a closer look at this and see what's going on?

Click on my username to get our email address (it's under "about me").

Many thanks,

Stephanie

Hi Steph.

The amount of posts on this topic (and from a thread I started in the newsgroups) is indicative of a major ftp/web server problem. It is not user specific, it's affecting everyone. Sending you emails will be counterproductive.

0 Ratings
ZH
Beginner
Message 28 of 207

You guys think you have problems? Having had several years of service I really couldn't complain about and regularly recommended BTInternet to others, this issue cropped up. Happened on this Forum by some fluke. Tonight uploaded 2 pages including the Home page - now the Site's disappeared. It's only a Hashing (running) Site but a lot of people rely on it. Hope it all gets back to normal - FAST.

0 Ratings
bamt
Beginner
Message 29 of 207

Have had the same problem for a few days. Often when people try to access my website they get "The connection was reset" message.

Using FTP has also been a nightmare...(sample extract below...)

File Transfer Log

.... The server forcibly closed the connection.

.... 1) Try connecting to the server again later.

Not good from a company which aspires to be the world's no. 1 telco, is it?

0 Ratings
Muckypaws
Aspiring Contributor
Message 30 of 207

Currently still no joy, am seeing either a connection request closed by the FTP Server, ftp.btinternet.com or an error stating that the account isn't associated with webspace.

If I try and go to my webspace, I get the following error :-

Internal Server Error

The server encountered an internal error or misconfiguration and was unable to complete your request.

Please contact the server administrator, www-server-admin@lists.btinternet.com and inform them of the time the error occurred, and anything you might have done that may have caused the error.

More information about this error may be available in the server error log.

Apache/1.3.31 Server at www.btinternet.com Port 80
At least there's another email address to report the issues on.
Surely a BT Moderator can start investigating this issue properly as it appears that we are all in the same boat?

0 Ratings