cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
rich1608
Contributor
Message 61 of 207

Re: Major problem with BT Internet web hosting

"As someone else commented, the registration email went into the BTYahoo Spam folder, and then Outlook marked it as Junk?"

I've had that happen several times in the past when joining forums so I don't think it is indicative of anything BT may be trying to do.

BT owes us a very big apology for their dreadful customer service over this issue. If they want to shut down their web hosting then this is NOT the way to do it!!!

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 62 of 207

@davemitch wrote:

Both my personal webspace and a Church website that I look after hosted on BT's servers are intermittent, and the FTP doesn't work.

Last time I rang the BT broadband helpdesk about a similar issue, they didn't understand what I was on about. Shortly after the site mysteriously came back. I wonder whether it's a ploy to get rid of all these legacy btinternet.com websites. Maybe time to look at another web host?

As someone else commented, the registration email went into the BTYahoo Spam folder, and then Outlook marked it as Junk?

Hi Dave.

Myself and a friend have got promises from high up in BT that the webspace will remain.

It's currently a serious outage (hopefully back soon, with the exact reason for the failure). There are actually millions and millions of webpages hosted by folk on BTinternet, possibly into the billions.

Searching for another host is certainly worthwhile (though paid).

As for the registration email ending up as spam fodder - that's an unfortunate coincidence, many service emails from all sorts of people end up there - my lotto winning/renew emails are also marked as junk

0 Ratings
daveindevon
Contributor
Message 63 of 207

I agree with above, I was told a year or so ago (the last time btinternet web space went to worms) that we would be able to access it 'indefinitely' - that seems to be backed up by the Irish person who phoned me today to say it is being looked at (although probably not over the weekend) - so at the moment I am not going along with any conspiracy theory about BT closing the web space down.  I moved personal pages to btinternet 13-14 years ago from CompuServe, this is the most prolonged outage I have known.  However, I did move some pages to my BT Business web space and if this goes on much longer may move everything to there.  It is annoying though as I have a lot of pages here including our village site, which people actually use.

Even more annoying though, is the failure of anyone from BT to come onto this forum, apologise, and tell us what is going on.

0 Ratings
Rogs
Aspiring Contributor
Message 64 of 207

Hi All,

I have today transferred my website to atspace.com. Atspace.com is free and reasonably easy to use. I am using it to upload my weather station data, which is updated every 5 mins. Atspace has performed perfectly since the transfer. Admittedly it's not a very large site less than 1 meg.  

I suppose this option is OK if you've got a newish site and don't have too much data to transfer. 

If you've been using the BT webserver for a while and have an address that's prominent on various search engines then I feel very sorry for you. BT should be disgusted with the service (non service) that they are providing here. The site has been performing rubbish for the past few months and has totally collapsed in the past few days. The webserver is obviously not monitered by the engineering staff and maintenance is not being done. And to not put engineers on the case immediately to correct this problem is a total disgrace. Customer service at BT does not exist anymore, they used to be the Uk's leading telecom company. What went wrong?

Try Atspace.com or another free webhost provider. You won't be dissappointed. I guess BT would be happy if everyone did this, they would then be able to rip out their webserver equipment. Assuming someone knows where it is!

Rogs

Retired BT engineer (Ashamed)

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 65 of 207

@Rogs wrote:

Hi All,

I have today transferred my website to atspace.com. Atspace.com is free and reasonably easy to use. I am using it to upload my weather station data, which is updated every 5 mins. Atspace has performed perfectly since the transfer. Admittedly it's not a very large site less than 1 meg.  

I suppose this option is OK if you've got a newish site and don't have too much data to transfer. 

The site has been performing rubbish for the past few months and has totally collapsed in the past few days. The webserver is obviously not monitered by the engineering staff and maintenance is not being done. And to not put engineers on the case immediately to correct this problem is a total disgrace. Customer service at BT does not exist anymore, they used to be the Uk's leading telecom company. What went wrong?

Rogs

Retired BT engineer (Ashamed)

Hi Rogs.

Hope you don't mind me saying, the web servers have only been bad in the past 3-4 days - certainly not months. I've not noticed any problems until recently. I judge my information on reports in here or the newsgroups. The general problems manifest themselves when many people report the same thing, and this has only happened in the past few days.

Since we don't actually know what the cause is, it's hard to judge whether monitoring or maintenance is not happening. It could be that those involved are too busy trying to fix the fault to respond (however I guess otherwise). People have reported that those "doing the fixing" won't be available until next week - I'd actually consider that information to be inaccurate, because the webservers are clearly not small items. They are serviing millions of pages, with pretty much no bandwidth restriction.

I'd be extremely surprised if faults and server throughput are not checked on a regular basis (e.g. like electric usage in the national grid), so a sudden drop in use would surely be noticed.

Something has clearly gone wrong somewhere, possibly a DNS problem, and I'm wondering if that "BT web address help" system has a bearing on it. Continuous reloading of a link seems to eventually get through.

Now - it is even likely that BTinternet webspace/domaon is under some form of DDoS attack, causing these problems.

As for zero customer service for webspace - this is not a new thing, they have "never" supported the webspace for reporting faults. They even don't know it exists. "We" have always informed the support teams via the newsgroups.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Muckypaws
Aspiring Contributor
Message 66 of 207

Ok, so far, I've spoken to a number of people at BT, none of which can assist or help, or know who the owner is, or the Web Hosting team is unavailable until Monday.

I have asked for an escalation to the On-Call support person, but have met a wall (Call centres are only open between the hours of ...)

I received the email below, for which I spoke to a friendly and genuinely helpful gentlemen by the name of Somok Sarkar who is apparently the highest escalation point in the call centre.  He is not allowed to put a customer through to a manager (lucky manager), nor able to escalate this issue until Monday, he will try on our behalf, but his hands are tied.

I have explained that this is a Major Incident and therefore there must be an escalation route to the Major Incident Management Team within BT, to which he confirmed their is not that his department is aware of.

However, he is also unaware that this is a major incident, therefore can I suggest that more people call BT's freephone number?

0800 633 5335, as per the response I recevied from BT.

The Web Hosting people can be contacted on 0845 603 6142, however that department is unavailable until Monday 8am.

I have pointed Mr Sarkar to this community page for which I have confirmed he has been able to read by providing content of the page.

I'm out of suggestion everyone, other than this is a very poor show from BT.  Once this incident is resolved, BT do need to publish clearly proper channels of escalation and correct/relevant contact numbers.

Don't ask me why this issue was routed to their Narrowband team... I used the www-server-admin@lists.btinternet.com email address.

Cheers

Jason

Recently you requested personal assistance from our on-line support centre. Below is a summary of your request and our response.

Thank you for allowing us to be of service to you.

Subject
---------------------------------------------------------------
Problems with BT FTP Server and Web Space

Discussion Thread
---------------------------------------------------------------
Response (ABHISHEKANAND DUBEY) - 10/02/2010 05:31 PM Dear Ms Jason,

Thank you so much for your email dated 2nd October 2010. It has been logged under the reference number : 101002-xxxxxx

Please accept my heartiest apologies for the inconvenience caused to you due to the given issue. You have contacted the correct department to help you with your Web space account query. We would like to bring this to your kind attention that in order to check a few details and help you with the trouble shooting steps, please give us a call on our number mentioned below.

You can reply back to us through this email or If you have any further concerns, We can surely assist you in a better way. Please feel free to contact us on 0800 633 5335 (toll free). We work from 8 a.m. till the midnight, 7 days a week

Thank you for contacting BT. We value your association with us.

With warm regards,
Abhishek Dubey
BT Narrowband & VAS Technical Helpdesk.

Customer - 10/02/2010 02:58 AM

0 Ratings
Rogs
Aspiring Contributor
Message 67 of 207

Thanks for that Jason

Need I say anymore!!!

Cheers

Rogs

0 Ratings
Brian_P
Beginner
Message 68 of 207

BT has an internal friends and family escalation process , accessible by BT employees thru the BT intranet. Maybe someone who currently works for BT or knows someone who does could use this route. It normally results in a high level of escalation.

I'm suffering too with the lack of access to the FTP sites. I've started using DropBox today for hosting pictures, it has a free 2Gb option and good functionality.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 69 of 207

@Brian_P wrote:

BT has an internal friends and family escalation process , accessible by BT employees thru the BT intranet. Maybe someone who currently works for BT or knows someone who does could use this route. It normally results in a high level of escalation.

I'm suffering too with the lack of access to the FTP sites. I've started using DropBox today for hosting pictures, it has a free 2Gb option and good functionality.

Hi Brian.

If you want to host pictures, then you get Pro Flickr accounts with a BT Broadband account.

0 Ratings
Brian_P
Beginner
Message 70 of 207

Thanks Andy, I also need to host the occasional music and video clip too so I need a more generic capability, i.e. BT's previously working FTP server!
0 Ratings