Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jlovie
Aspiring Expert
Message 191 of 207

Re: Major problem with BT Internet web hosting

Yes, I've just managed to log in too.

I still haven't received any notification from BT about rhe service ceasing, were there just going to switch off the servers without telling customers?

0 Ratings
rocky8bg
Aspiring Contributor
Message 192 of 207

would ANYONE be surprised if that were to happen?

0 Ratings
jlovie
Aspiring Expert
Message 193 of 207

I've just had an email confirming web hosting is closing, no exact date yet.

http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/39105/

0 Ratings
kip
Aspiring Contributor
Message 194 of 207

I've just had an email too, and am not very happy about this at all.  My website which hosts free assistive software is listed at over 500 locations across the web, and has had over 200,000 hits in a few years, and now BT in their infinite (corporate) wisdom decide arbitrarily to pull the plug.  As we are all customers of BT, who pay their wages, shouldn't we have been consulted regarding this, then again, how many of us are money grabbing shareholders who see a way to squeeze a few more coppers of profit out.

The one thing that has kept me tied to BT has been the hosting of my website, so if that is going to have to move, then i may as well go too.  No point staying now, the service is rubbish, the speeds are pathetic and now a service that was part of the fees I pay have been dismissed just because the profit margins are a little bit low and the provision of the service costs a few quid.  Boohoo, it seems some people would sooner turn a n=bit more profit than give their customers something they have had since signing up.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Muckypaws
Aspiring Contributor
Message 195 of 207

Status:    Connection established, waiting for welcome message...
Response:    220-
Response:    220-                 BTopenworld FTP Server
Response:    220-IMPORTANT NOTICE:
Response:    220-THIS SERVICE WILL SHORTLY BE CLOSING.
Response:    220-PLEASE VISIT www.bt.com/help/webhosting IMMEDIATELY
Response:    220-FOR MORE INFORMATION.
Response:    220-BTopenworld maintains this FTP archive as a service to its Internet
Response:    220-customers. Please use it with consideration for others.
Response:    220-The local time is Tue Aug 28 19:15:24 2012.
Response:    220-You are user 0, out of a maximum permitted of 1500.
Response:    220-Please read the README files for more information about the contents of
Response:    220-each directory. Note that if FTP hangs or dies, try putting a hyphen at
Response:    220-the start of your password.
Response:    220-DISCLAIMER: British Telecommunications plc is not liable for any use,
Response:    220-storage or transmission of any files stored on this archive unless
Response:    220-otherwise stated.
Response:    220-Please email suggestions and questions to support@btopenworld.com
Response:    220 condmzwds02-th.dmz.ncs.th.ibs-infra.bt.com FTP server (BTI / Version wu-2.4.2 (18) Fri May 12 13:56:48 BST 2000) ready.
Command:    USER xxx.yyy
Response:    530-Login failed as you do not have a homepage associated with this email name.
Response:    530-Have you previously uploaded using a different email name.
Error:    Connection closed by server
Error:    Could not connect to server

I have been seeing this error since the weekend.  It seems that BT FTP Server doesn't know about my account.  If I try and look at my website via http://www.btinternet.com/~user.name I receive an internal configuration error, if I explicitly use http://www.btinternet.com/~user.name/index.html  then the website can be seen.

Those nice off-shore chaps following the BT Broadband Script don't seem to have a clue about this service.

I appreciate BT are looking to close the service down, and when they do I will move my broadband to Sky and use www.freeparking.co.uk as my hosting provider, but the least they can do is support the service until they have communicated clearly a closure date.

Tags (2)
0 Ratings
jlovie
Aspiring Expert
Message 196 of 207

Same problems here.

On the 2nd of August BT sent me an email stating "We'll be closing it in just a few months."

and "We'll write again to let you know the exact date we'll be closing the service".

0 Ratings
jlovie
Aspiring Expert
Message 197 of 207

Seems to have just come back up again.

0 Ratings
tonyh1701
Beginner
Message 198 of 207

I am having exactly the same problem.

I have already set up a new website (www.thelittleorchardcompany.co.uk) and now want to upload web pages that will redirect users from my old, BT, web site to my new one. When I try to FTP on to my 'free' web space, all I get is -

Response: 530-Login failed as you do not have a homepage associated with this email name

I haven't changed username or password so I am at a loss as to what's going on.

I really need to get this resolved because search engines are still pointing to my old site (which now contains out-of-date information).

Come on BT, it's bad enough that you just decide to close a service that's been running for years but to do it in such a disorganised manner is inexcusable.

0 Ratings
Stentifw
Aspiring Contributor
Message 199 of 207

This happened to me 2 days ago, but the system came up again and I was able to gain access to my btinternet site.

Now it is happening again at 16.00pm 29/8/2012 and my userid is being rejected.

BT are clearly messing around with the system.  Ringing up 0800 328 8344 or 0845 600 7020 is a complete waste of time because the people on the end of the phone don't know what you are talking about.   This is no way to treat customers.  I have remained on BT Total Broadband at £24.70 a month purely to keep this website up and running.  It is obvious what we are all gong to do shortly!

0 Ratings
jlovie
Aspiring Expert
Message 200 of 207

I can intermittently view files on the server although it takes several refreshes to clear errirs but I can't log on via ftp.

0 Ratings