Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
PembsUsers
Contributor
Message 1 of 28

Managing user bandwidth on BT Broadband

Hello

Will this help me with the problems encountered over the weekend especially and sometimes in the week?

My lovely fast system disintegrates to an annoyance which is impossible to alter  --  will this get rid of the interlopers?

I just wish I knew what to do.  This evening I am reduced to 1.07 mb download but 14.7 mb /s  upload rate - turning the router off and on gives 2-3 minutes of 25-30 mb /s download again but then goes back to snails - it's pretty annoying.

I got wifi analyzer off the Microsoft site a few months back and recently updated it - I can actually SEE this person but he isn't connected via our router in any way that we can chuck him(her?) off

How much are these things and are they easy to set up and will this solve the problem?

Thanks as always for help

ps - sorry to ask a weird question but now we have fibre optic, why is the service still asynchronous?

0 Ratings
27 REPLIES 27
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 28

@PembsUsers

If the slow down is due to that person, and nothing else, then the ability to control the amount of bandwidth that person gets, will fix the problem.

If the slowdown is due to something else, then it will not help.

Turning the home hub on and off, is going to make BT think you have a fault, and eventually they will reduce your connection speed.

All you are doing by turning the router off and on, is to temporarily disconnect that users sessions. Once they get re-connected again, the problem will be back.

You cannot disconnect them any other way.

Asynchronous means that the upload and downloads are not the same rate.

The cost of the router is shown on my website link, and there is also some configuration information.

Looking at one of the screens on the router, you will be able to see the IP address that has been assigned to that user.

You can then "reserve" it, so the user gets that same address everyt time.

Then you can impose the bandwidth and priority for their connection.

If you get stuck, I can add a step by step example on one of my webpages, it quite simple, but you must be the one that has control of the router settings. I assume that you are the BT Broadband account holder?

Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 28

What do you mean "I can actually SEE this person but he isn't connected via our router in any way that we can chuck him(her?) off".

If the person is using your wireless connection they must be connected to your router. 

If they are connecting to your router they must have the wireless password. You can change this password to stop them connecting.

If they are using BTWifi you can opt out of this if you wish. See link

http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/12958/~/how-do-i-opt-out-of-bt-wi-fi%3F

or is it possible that you have put two and two together and come up with five and actually your slowing down has nothing to do with any person connecting to your router but instead there is a possible problem such as congestion of your connection at peak times.

Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 28

What @gg30340 has said about peak time slowdown is true, the only reason I would dismiss that, is that  you said that when you restart the home hub, the speed is fine for a while, then it drops again. That would not happen if it was network congestion.

That would point to the fact that that user is setting up multiple connections, common with game servers, and that is gradually slowing down your own connection.

@PembsUsers

Anyway, this is off the topic that @oakserver started, so it would be best if this was moved to a separate thread if you wish to continue with this issue. I can arrange to move your posts and others on this thread, to a separate one, as it would make more sense.

If you decide to change the router at some point, and want help. Then I will initially do that via a private link on my website, which I would provide you with.

Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 28

Hmm... somebody has moved the posts anyway.

The subject line needs to be changed. A mod can do that tomorrow perhaps?

Meanwhile let use use the subject line "Managing user bandwidth on BT Broadband" ?

Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 28

@PembsUsers

If you want to continue the discussion at some point, if you reply to this post, then that should change the subject of the thread from this point. Earlier posts can be amended by a moderator, as we can`t do that.

Message 7 of 28

Re: Managing user bandwidth on BT Broadband

Good morning guys,

I've changed the subject line of the posts in line with @PembsUsers's topic.

Cheers,

Robbie

Community ModeratorRobbieMac
Did you get the help you needed?
Help others by clicking on ‘Mark as accepted solution’
Show your appreciation!
Click on the star next to a reply to say thanks
Help guide to using the community? Click below
Kudos”Kudos”
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 28

@RobbieMac

Thanks Robbie, not sure if the OP wants to follow this up, but the offer of help still stands.

There have been similar requests in the past, so this thread may be of interest to others.

I appreciate that user bandwidth control is not likely to be a feature of the BT Home Hubs, but customers are free to use their own routers, even though BT can only provide support for the home hubs.

PembsUsers
Contributor
Message 9 of 28

Hiya Keith and thank you for finding me space, I'm sorry if I've posted this in the wrong place.

When I said I can see the user, I can see him(her) on the wifi analyser, I can't discover them on the router, to all intents and purposes they aren't connected to us as a user neither have we given any permissions or the password to anyone but ourselves and we check this each week and change the password every so often.

This comes up as BT wifi with fon and BT wifi X

On wifi analyzer it shows the rate of our connection on the networks tab.  Today all is equal and I have excellent throughput at nearly 24 mb /s and upload 15+ mb /s  I have put a screen shot of both so you can see how good it is when all is equal.  The rate is shown in decibels for some reason, please don't ask me about them as I have no clue except I thought it was something to do with sound or I seem to remember it from when I had a CB radio but I never learned what it meant.

The problem comes when this person gets on.  It doesn't affect the telly which seems to never be affected and it is hardwired into the router; also using the laptop hard wired to the router produces excellent results without any degradation at all (something like 40 mb /s despite my best friend watching HD TV and googling the news on the internet and reading it)

This is only my desktop computer in my home which has the aerial thing which you know about and is now served by the outside repeater (and very very well indeed I am in awe in fact)

What happens is this.  My internet speed shows signs of degradation when I open a new tab say - or click on a link from facebook or go to a video or something like that.  I never seem to get completely disconnected and for some truly odd reason my upload speed stays good no matter who is on doing whatever they do, which is why I was wondering why now we have fibre optic the asynchronous connections still exist.

I didnt get a screen shot yesterday as I gave up and went into my best friends and got merry.   But what happens is this - the two connections I have circled alter.  It depends what user connects I think becase one user who uses the FON bit doesn't affect us much at all although we see a slight degradation of maybe 10% and no more - my blue line at the top shuffles back a bit, they dont affect us ... but

the other one (I think) does affect us greatly - my blue connection line at the top goes right back to about an inch and the wifi x connection also goes down a tad but not significantly as a broadcast signal, this can be seen however on the channels analysys where BT wifi with FON and wifi x come over to our channel (we usually pick channel 1) and my dark blue connection goes from peak on channel 1 to an inch up on the graph thing.

I hope I have explained this sufficiently well for you to understand what I am saying, knowing me probably not but I can try again if you don't see where I am coming from in any of this.

I'd like to say that when this person isn't on our router we have been (me, I mean) over the moon with the service, can't fault it and all your recommendations have been blooming fantastic  and I was so lucky that you picked this up for me.Keiths Test.jpgKeiths Test2.jpgKeiths Test3.jpgKeith test4.jpg

I don't know if you can see the pics I just realised it said public or private album - I will keep my fingers crossed you can

Thank you for all your help - if getting a new router means we don't have this occasional pain in the derriere I will be really happy - or if there is anything we can do without getting one?

0 Ratings
PembsUsers
Contributor
Message 10 of 28

I missed an image - which is how we identify the wifi x and FON as on our router (by the time stamp of up-time)

Keiths Test3a.jpg

0 Ratings